Mild muffler mod to my Poulan 1950 WoodShark.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom123

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2014
East Granby CT
I was playing in the garage today. I had to install a new choke lever in my Poulan so I decided to pull the muffler and check the cylinder and the spark arrester screen. The screen had some carbon and crud on it but it wasn't completely blocked. I cleaned it by cooking it with a blowtorch then a wire brush. I also opened up the holes in the baffle a drill size or so, see pics. On the back of the muffler toward the cylinder there were openings stamped that let the exhaust out and deflect it to the left. I opened these by bending them wider with pliers. I got it all back together. It started right up and I adjusted the carb a bit richer. It ran great, is a little louder and more responsive. First pic is stock holes.
d3ed3ee401d11cc36d51d8178afc26be.jpgb1eccb3ea77f96217865d45ea92aa6fd.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of like a cherry bomb glass packed Dodge half ton with a 318.

There's still a muffler, but there kind of isn't.!

Reactions: Tom123
All my saws get muff mods. Some make a huge difference and some don't. Some run much much better without the screen.

Poulan directs the hot gases against a heat shield then forward. Seems like a lot of gest near the cylinder but it is quiet.
On a couple Poulans I hammered the rear slots closed then added an opening on the side nearest bsr and towards the top. Then I made a deflector box sort of like the old large husky 288 for example. Pop riveted to muffler or screws I cant recall.
The retune is critical but it ran much faster and better after the muffler mod

Reactions: Tom123
Sounds good Kevin. I might braze a piece of 1/2 pipe to it and close the rear slots. It's fun to play with that stuff. My Stihl MS 250 is under warranty and I will leave it bone stock for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.