Mineral wool adequate above block-off plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
I've done some searching around here, but have yet to find a clear answer. What exactly do people use to insulate on top of a block-off plate. I've seen ceramic something-or-other mentioned, and I know Woodstock uses 1/2-inch ceramic in their kits, but is mineral wool or rock wool adequate?

My usual reply to this is, why would one insulate above the block off plate? I would think that the liner will radiate more heat into the space than one could expect to be transfered thru the steel plate from the stove. It isn't actually clear to me that the space above the block off, around the liner, wouldn't actually be hotter than the space below the block off plate.

If you do intend to use insulation, I would recommend Kaowool or other ceramic wools that are rated to the 2100F temps that liners are tested to over rock wool. Rock wool isn't going to catch fire, nor melt, but once exposed to temps beyond it's design, I'm not sure what the R value would be.

Proactive disclosure - my block off plate is just rock wool shoved in the hole - I don't like it, but I still haven't changed it.

I didn't insulate my block off plate, just the top 3' of the liner inside the 8" square chimney. I used mineral wool for 5" pipe (5" pipe is 5-5/8" od so the 6" liner was a pretty good fit. I stuffed it good, no hot air coming out of my chimney, exhaust out the liner only. If you decide on mineral wool you can get it locally at Sprinkmanns.

So, boostnut, did you also wrap the entire length of your flex liner? Woodstock specified that I wrap mine.

Did you get your Kennebec from Hearth and Patio?

We should get together sometime.

No, yes, and sure.
No, my liner (all 10 or 12 feet of it) is not insulated with the exception of the top 3'
Yes, the kennebec is from hearth and patio.
Where do you live? I grew up in Peoria, near Hines school and now live in Washington.

I grew up mostly in Germantown but now live a little off Knoxville, a couple blocks from Grace Presbyterian. My fireview is due at ABF tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.