Mini dust vac?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I have a flush insert with no ash lip. Although I keep the hearth area relatively neat and clean I get small amounts of ash/soot when I dust stove room. I ash vacuum everyday with my ash vac, but I suspect small amount of ash escape when I reload. Is there a good small ( almost line DustBuster size) vacuum that would be good for this purpose? I’m thinking something very small that I can quickly clean hearth with before reload.

I used a dust vac around the stove for several years (no name, dated back from the mid 80s). Until I saw a tiny hole in the felt filter left behind by a little over zealous cleaning and ingesting an ember. Totally threw me off using a non fire rated vac around the stove again. People talk about the dangers of taking ash and coals outside in a fireproof area and container. Yet I was taking a risk every time I used that vac. Plus I would leave it rolled up nearby the stove handy for use. It was a lint fire starter, with a million to one chance of an ember in it. Fire proof vac, broom and a dust pan, wet washcloth to clean up the stove and nearby areas once in a while, not that much of a bother for me to have peace of mind.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
I used a dust vac around the stove for several years (no name, dated back from the mid 80s). Until I saw a tiny hole in the felt filter left behind by a little over zealous cleaning and ingesting an ember. Totally threw me off using a non fire rated vac around the stove again. People talk about the dangers of taking ash and coals outside in a fireproof area and container. Yet I was taking a risk every time I used that vac. Plus I would leave it rolled up nearby the stove handy for use. It was a lint fire starter, with a million to one chance of an ember in it. Fire proof vac, broom and a dust pan, wet washcloth to clean up the stove and nearby areas once in a while, not that much of a bother for me to have peace of mind.
Good call. I wonder if there is a very small ash vac for this purpose (for the occasion hot ember).

I have been using a small rechargeable black and decker from from Best Buy. Got it for $40 or so. I absolutely love it. It works great for me. It has washable filter which is important because you will be vacuuming a lot of ashes at least I do. If I have a hot amber or ambers drop out I just use a dust pan to collect it and throw it right back in the stove.

And then you get a little black one that isn't glowing until the air from the vac's suction lights it up.

If you always empty the bag into your ash bucket outside immediately, I guess the worst you'll get is a hole in the bag.

My doesn’t have a bag it’s so small. It’s just hard clear plastic. But I use it for ash really. Anything bigger I sweep.

I have a snow joe ash vac. It's not huge, but it's not super small. Relatively easy to bring out and vacuum.