Minimum clearance seems too close

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Natesmall

Dec 27, 2021
Canada
Doing a new install in the living room. I feel like the stove I'm wanting to buy is rated to be way to close to non-combustables. Or I'm missing something.

Stove: drolet nano.
It says in the manual that with a heat shield and double wall stove pipe, the corners (in a corner install) can be 2.5 inches from combustable material! Now assuming your heat shield is actually an inch off the wall...that leaves 1.5 inches between stove and shield?? The whole thing seems way to close. Chimney clearance would still be 9.5 inches from the wall at its closest point if the stove was that close.

the doco also says something about minimum clearance is 6in but also talks about single wall pipe in that same sentence so it's also confusing.

in the case of the photos...the blue level will be the wall.....still have to build that....

please let me know if I'm missing something.
I live in British Columbia, North van Island.

16406486533791933759671371352375.jpg 16406487054468214369032534828421.jpg 16406487476284605555364756547363.jpg

I can understand the confusion. The paragraph about the single-wall pipe is referring to the single-wall pipe being heat shielded, not the stove shielding.

The clearances with the wall shield can be followed as documented. They are certified by UL and the Canadian testing equivalent. The 2.5" is to the nearest combustible (studs, drywall, etc.) which in this case are behind the AC02762 wall heat shield.

Do you have sufficient hearth protection in front of the stove door? This should be 18" in Canada.

I can understand the confusion. The paragraph about the single-wall pipe is referring to the single-wall pipe being heat shielded, not the stove shielding.

The clearances with the wall shield can be followed as documented. They are certified by UL and the Canadian testing equivalent. The 2.5" is to the nearest combustible (studs, drywall, etc.) which in this case are behind the AC02762 wall heat shield.

Do you have sufficient hearth protection in front of the stove door? This should be 18" in Canada.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm impressed the stove can be mounted that close to the walls....things have definitely changed since last stove I put in!

I will have a proper hearth....haven't built it yet cos I've been waiting to see exactly where I'll put the stove so I know how big to make the hearth. But yes, I will have 18in from the front with the 34.5in width at the front. :)

Only a few stoves have very close clearances and fewer yet provide tested clearances with heat shielded walls. Drolet can do this because they sell the heat shield and therefore have a specific known shield to test against.

Nice. But I can use my own heat shield right? As in a good piece of 29 Guage metal mounted properly would mean I don't have to use their specific one to get those clearances right?

Also....while on the topic of heat shields....can I use thick aluminum instead of steel? I happen to have a bunch leftover from a boat building project...

Technically the effect should be the same, but I would get approval in writing from Drolet support first.
29 ga is pretty light duty. The US heatshield spec is 24 ga I think. I don't know what is acceptable in CA.

Technically the effect should be the same, but I would get approval in writing from Drolet support first.
29 ga is pretty light duty. The US heatshield spec is 24 ga I think. I don't know what is acceptable in CA.
Oh ya....meant 24. The aluminum I've got is pretty thick stuff. Was leftovers from a welded boat floor.

Aluminum will be fine, if Drolet signs off on it.