Minimum inside flue height for good draw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeCharmer

Nov 11, 2016
Planning a though the wall installation. I have low ceilings and with stove height I am concerned a 24" pipe will bring the horizontal piece too close to the ceiling. Will a 12" piece offer enough draw inside if I have enough outside pipe length?

I'm no expert but maybe you could go with two 45 elbows instead of 90s. I'm not sure how you do that with a through-the-wall? 45s would draw better. I think they generally recommend 3' vertical rise off the top of the stove if you are using 90s.

Probably more important to know how tall the chimney is? I have a through the wall install with 18 inch vertical then a 90 into the T and then a 90 up with 18 feet of chimney. I have no problem at all with draft.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Single wall pipe needs 18" clearance. Double-wall pipe needs 9" ceiling clearance and 6" wall clearance.

What stove is this for? Many require 84".

What is the chimney height? One story or two or?

Status
Not open for further replies.