Miscanthus Musings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroom Man

Hearth Supporter
Sep 6, 2008
Eastern Ontario
Miscanthus is a tall grass that is gaining popularity as a biofuel in Europe for both heating and ethanol production. Trials in North America show that it grows well here too. There are over 70 sub-species. It's characteristics are high yields (up to 4 meters high and 20 Tons/acre) More likely yields in my area would 8-13 feet high and 8-10 tons/acre. It will grow perennially for 25 years or more and needs no herbicides. Importantly, it can grow successfully on marginal fields so need not detract from food production.

It's consistency is like wheat straw once bailed and trials in gasification boilers in Europe have shown it to be as effective a fuel as straw and switchgrass. Mushrooms produce well on it (my primary consideration).

Has anyone here burned straw, switchgrass or miscanthus in their boiler. My concern is that the 1/2 or 1/3 bale flakes that I could fit through the loading door in my EKO 60 would burn so fast that I would become a slave to the loading process. I will be looking for a fast, hot burn next season, once storage is completed; but I don't want to be loading every 15 minutes, even once per hour would be a chore. (Evening burns only anticipated next year).

Would compression of the material be desirable - like homemade biobricks or biologs. Would that additional processing add to ease of use (reduced loading cycles)

The attraction of the biofuel solution is:
1) less processing of wood (maybe none)
2) lower risk to life and limb (especially in old age) in the work of wood processing
3) virtually limitless low cost fuel (not free because planting costs are large ($4500 for 4 acres but production extends for many years and I need mushroom substrate anyways.)
4) possible ethanol production for farm tractor, truck, cars, genset etc. (alernative to oil if it gets really expensive)
5) bales can be used for construction and insulation of facilities (straw-bale-construction)

Thanks for the musings. Interesting plant with a funny name, I thought miscanthus became Miss America in 1996. :-/

It does seem like a boiler would need several daily refills. And it would make a lot of ash. For a straw burning boiler, it would need a larger combustion chamber. Have you seen these units?
http://www.farm2000.co.uk/choose.htm
more info on straw boilers down towards the bottom of the page:
http://energy.saving.nu/biomass/technology.shtml

Biggest problem with Miscanthus is moisture content as the normal harvest time is Feb or March prior to the new crop growing which in UK normally means harvesting when it is wet.

you need to give your eko the same style of straw bale feeder that they use in Denmark, it has a conveyer that you set the bales on, they go through a chamber and flake off into the burner section of the boiler. just throw a couple of bales on the conveyer every time you look at the boiler.

the pictures I saw used big squares of straw for a district heat system.

Status
Not open for further replies.