How do I like my Vermont Castings Dauntless? An early on review.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Now that we’ve accustomed ourselves to the differences between our old Vigilant and the newer Dauntless, we’re liking it. In my first post I somewhat trashed it, but in fairness we hadn’t really given it a chance. It’s clearly a little more finicky than the old Vigilant, but it’s also more technically advanced and more efficient. Dealing with the ash pan is more time consuming than opening the front door on the Vigilant and shoveling into an ash bucket. Also, it doesn’t handle the big chunks I could throw in the Vigilant, so I have to split wood smaller.
And the smoked glass that I so adamantly complained about isn’t really that big of a deal. When we prepare for a new burn, a paper towel usually takes most of it off, sometimes with a little wood ash to scour the baked in bits. Burning a good hot fire, which really should be the norm, keeps the glass mostly clean.
In short, following mfg recommendations (getting a good bed of coals to start, etc) the stove works well. Now that we’ve figured out how to run it, we can enjoy it for the main reasons we bought it to replace the Vigilant; it’s stellar looks, the red enamel is gorgeous and the glass doors let us enjoy looking at the fire over the course of our long upstate New York winter!
Hi, have you had any issues with backpuffing when in cat mode and turning the air down?
Where does your cat temp gauge typically read?
I ask because I have the same stove and it has been a rough two seasons with it.

Hi, have you had any issues with backpuffing when in cat mode and turning the air down?
I ask because I have the same stove and it has been a rough two seasons with it.
We don’t have the cat version and backpuffing isn’t an issue. Had 1 instance but just after we got it and not since. We bought it for the aesthetics, nice red enamel and glass doors to look at the fire. It does look great and doors are cool. We’re not big fans of the coal grate and ash pan due to the messiness of the process. No easy way to open the door without getting ashes in the floor. The old Vigilant was simply open the door and shovel out the ashes with a front lip that held them in. Also need to be very careful with the enamel paint. It doesn’t take a lot to effect the finish. Had some milk boil over and cooked it into the paint. Not huge but noticeable if you’re picky. Also, the glass requires removing areas of soot, but usually comes right off. So bottom line; great aesthetics, but more a little more work. I imagine a cat converter is a whole other area of complication. Has it been problematic?

I have a Dauntless with the cat installed. It has back puffed a couple of times for me. I didn't have the stove hot enough and I was using damp wood.
I have noticed that if you don't see really healthy flame activity, don't cut the air back or engage the cat. Stove should be above 450 degrees (preferably 500 plus), a good coal bed created, and wood should be less than 20% moisture.

My cat temps range from initially 1100 degrees +- to 750 ish...if the STT is 450 to 500, cat temp is usually 950 ish. The more flame activity inside your stove, the less the cat needs to work to burn the excess. The more smoke the higher the cat temps.

Sorry your having a rough time, I did my first season!

I have a Dauntless with the cat installed. It has back puffed a couple of times for me. I didn't have the stove hot enough and I was using damp wood.
I have noticed that if you don't see really healthy flame activity, don't cut the air back or engage the cat. Stove should be above 450 degrees (preferably 500 plus), a good coal bed created, and wood should be less than 20% moisture.

My cat temps range from initially 1100 degrees +- to 750 ish...if the STT is 450 to 500, cat temp is usually 950 ish. The more flame activity inside your stove, the less the cat needs to work to burn the excess. The more smoke the higher the cat temps.

Sorry your having a rough time, I did my first season!
yea I cant stress enough about the wood MC. <20% for sure.

With the cat in or out, I dont have backpuffing. When I would reload the stove I would let the new load catch before closing the damper. If I have a great bed of hot coals I close down immediately but I leave air control on high for awhile. If the bed of coals are just so so, I will leave the damper open and let the new load catch. Let the new load catch with air control on high. Once that box has flames at every level, you can go ahead and lower the air in 1/3 increments at a time. That should fix backpuffing for you

Reactions: a59cheffy