Missing Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyball

Mar 12, 2014
Thompson, CT
Sorry if this is a newbie question but I'm new to the pellet world. I finally moved over from a wood stove. My question is it normal for a decent amount of pellets to miss the fire pot? I have burned about 5 bags & have probably at least a couple cups worth of ones unburned that missed the pot or jumped out. I have a breckwell. P4000 vermont model it has a small fire pot. Otherwise it burns the okanagen pellets awesome & heats my entire ranch. The stove is in my basement with fresh air supply hooked up.

Sorry if this is a newbie question but I'm new to the pellet world. I finally moved over from a wood stove. My question is it normal for a decent amount of pellets to miss the fire pot? I have burned about 5 bags & have probably at least a couple cups worth of ones unburned that missed the pot or jumped out. I have a breckwell. P4000 vermont model it has a small fire pot. Otherwise it burns the okanagen pellets awesome & heats my entire ranch. The stove is in my basement with fresh air supply hooked up.

That seems excessive to me. I'll let someone who has your male/model stove comment specifically but, while my stove misdrops a few pellets from time to time, you can count them on one hand.

I agree. I don't have the same stove but mine might lose 1 or 2 per bag at the MOST.

That's what I thought. It is a real small fire box though. About the size of a playing card so I'm betting it's just the model. I wonder if the fake log set breckwell sells would cut down on this. Only problem is the cheapest I found it for is $170 and that's well on your way to a ton of pellets worth!

It looks to me like the pellets sometimes hit the back lip of the firepot & either fall behind it or bounce out in front. It looks like if the firepot could slide back a litte more or if the chute the pellets come out of stuck out a 1/4-1/3 inch more it would help significantly.

In the back of the fire box their is the 2 1/2 inch port that sticks out about a 1/2 inch (cumbustion air) this should be flush with the inside of the burn pot holder (forget proper name) when pushed in all the way. Their is a screw in the bottom of burn pot holder that is adjustable to align the burn pot holder to the fire box. Make sure it is pushed in all the way and the cylinder that protrudes a 1/2 inch is flush with the inside of the burn pot holder, and it is adjusted properly with the screw I talked about first. If this is not the problem then we will try something else

Might want to speak to the dealer to see if there is a retro-fit burn pot or if breckwell knows of the problem.

From review at http://www.pelletstovefires.com/breckwell-classic-cast.html
It's recommended that the Breckwell Classic Cast not be run for more than an hour at a time on the high heat setting.
Some problems with the A-E-033 convection fan seizing. This is being replaced with the C-E-029 fan. Try to make sure the newer fan is fitted.

Did yours come with the replacement fan?

It's a 2008 model that I just got from a friend but it was never installed so it's all origional parts. It burns just fine the fans seam ok even on a 10 degree night I did not need more than level 3 heat setting. I did push the right side of fire box back a little as the left side was tight against combustion air pipe, so now the firebox is slightly crooked but it seams to have really help with pellets missing now. So this tells me its probably just in need of adjustment I will try your tips tomorrow when it's cool. The damper is fine it's on setting 1 pushed most of the way in, burns good they are not blowing out they are never going in the pot. Anyway, we'll see how it looks tomorrow but right now it's much better. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.