Mitsubishi heat pump defrost cycle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodspliter

Burning Hunk
Jan 25, 2020
Maine
Hello as anyone witnessed a defrost cycle on the ondoor uint? I thought I noticed that the fan spins slowly on my 15k uint. My 12k single unit seems to be abnormally loud during defrost and the fan doesn't spin at all

The fan on my Mitsubishi’s seem to almost never stop spinning, only varying in speed.

Remember they can target coil temp. And will adjust blower speed to achieve that temp. So all units could be operating as intended.

This is a single 12k unit. I was concerned when I heard it go in defrost it sounded noisier than usual so I looked and noticed the compressor fan wasn't spinning I thought it was unusual

I don't know Mitsubishi specifically but most mini splits outdoor fan would be off during a defrost. The goal being to heat up the coil above ambient so running the fan would be counterproductive. The indoor fan will run just enough to keep it from icing up.

I don't know Mitsubishi specifically but most mini splits outdoor fan would be off during a defrost. The goal being to heat up the coil above ambient so running the fan would be counterproductive. The indoor fan will run just enough to keep it from icing up.
hm... I thought OP was asking about outdoor fan.

Yeah I was asking about the outdoor fan, does that make sense. I must have just caught the 15k unit right as it kicked into defrost because I did notice one day the fan was spinning slowly and water was draining

I remember when I was a kid 35 years ago our traditional split heat pump outdoor unit would go into a defrost and the fan would stop, the coils got hot(ter), then suddenly the fan would kick on and blow a huge plume of steam like a mushroom cloud.

Should we expect that from the minis?

I haven't seen it from mine. I have two systems, and while the larger of them is mounted on the far side of my barn (which I can never see from the house), the one for my small music studio is mounted right outside one of our back doors. I've never seen anything come out of it, but I do notice the fan is almost always turning, albeit usually too slowly to even hear. I only notice it because it's on a pad in a garden filled with ivy, and I can see the ivy leaves blowing in the light breeze it creates.

Reactions: Highbeam