Mixed Bag

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefighter938

Feeling the Heat
Dec 25, 2014
Central Indiana
I had some friends cleaning fence rows and burning the trees in large piles so I went and salvaged a cord.

image.jpg
Walnut, Cherry, hackberry, and a sprinkling of Mulberry on top.

I also gave another cord of cherry to a friend who smokes BBQ.

A pretty good day to run saws and the easiest cutting I've done. They pushed the trees over with heavy equipment and would hold it up while I cut off the root balls and tops. Then they held the logs over my trailer as I bucked it to size.

I like the part that you and your friend got some free wood, good score.

The part about them "burning the trees in large piles" makes me want to cry.....so much good wood wasted.....

Reactions: Firefighter938
I like the part that you and your friend got some free wood, good score.

The part about them "burning the trees in large piles" makes me want to cry.....so much good wood wasted.....

Oh I Know. They have farms and even burn wood, but can only burn so much and with miles and miles of fence to clean they just get what they need and burn the rest.

They had cherry and walnut trees piled up for me when I first got there and had been putting the mulberry on the pile burning it. I told them I would take it too and they thought I was crazy. Only got a little of it because they had burned most of it already.

I will probably go meet them again this winter and try to salvage another cord or two, but I am getting a lot of rounds that I need to get split.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Looks like you have plenty split - I would wood go for more. But thats just me.

bob

Reactions: Applesister
You can never have enough -

Reactions: Applesister
Oh I Know. They have farms and even burn wood, but can only burn so much and with miles and miles of fence to clean they just get what they need and burn the rest.

They had cherry and walnut trees piled up for me when I first got there and had been putting the mulberry on the pile burning it. I told them I would take it too and they thought I was crazy. Only got a little of it because they had burned most of it already.

I will probably go meet them again this winter and try to salvage another cord or two, but I am getting a lot of rounds that I need to get split.
They are the crazy ones for wasting the mulberry I'd say

Started splitting. Got all the hackberry split and most of the cherry. My estimating is starting to get better. I thought I had about a cord and will have that plus a face cord when I'm finished.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.