Model SL-550BE-IPI intelliswitch IPI pilot is lighting fine, main burner doesnt light up at all.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sagkan

Oct 30, 2021
North Carolina
SOS please. Dont think I would be able to spend on furnace inspection and associated cost. Hope you can help.

I am having issues with Hearth & Home SL-550BE-IPI gas furnace in the resale house where, i can see pilot flame turns on using wall switch, appears clean and blue. No continuous clicking sound in the pilot once it is on. But main burner fails to ignite.
As per the manufacturer's troubleshooting guide, checked everything. But there are no steps to check any issue/solution with the main valve that controls main burner. Any guidance is really appreciated

SOS please. Dont think I would be able to spend on furnace inspection and associated cost. Hope you can help.

I am having issues with Hearth & Home SL-550BE-IPI gas furnace in the resale house where, i can see pilot flame turns on using wall switch, appears clean and blue. No continuous clicking sound in the pilot once it is on. But main burner fails to ignite.
As per the manufacturer's troubleshooting guide, checked everything. But there are no steps to check any issue/solution with the main valve that controls main burner. Any guidance is really appr

As per the manufacturer's troubleshooting guide, checked everything. But there are no steps to check any issue/solution with the main valve that controls main burner. Any guidance is really appreciated
There is a small green wire that connects to a small male spade on the face of the gas valve to the right of the regulator. Make sure that this is connected. Make sure that the sensor wire is firmly attached to the green module. If it is not one of these , you will have to check voltages to narrow it down.

There is a small green wire that connects to a small male spade on the face of the gas valve to the right of the regulator. Make sure that this is connected. Make sure that the sensor wire is firmly attached to the green module. If it is not one of these , you will have to check voltages to narrow it down.
Thanks. How to check the voltages?

solved! but interesting chronology.

Checked the voltage. Seemed all fine. Only exception was voltage at burner solenoid was lower. Thinking that is what causing the burner valve to not open and concluded that module ran out of life. ordered a new module. Installed it Same result!

Then checked the continuity from pilot assembly to module. Looked like sensor rod (white wire) is short somewhere. Ordered entire Ipi module as sensor rod is not sold as separate. After replacing - same result.

At this point i was pretty frustrated and only piece remaining to replace was the valve. Ordered it. Dont know why i started tapping the valve from all sides. Guess what, fireplace came to life, as if nothing was broken.

solved! but interesting chronology.

Checked the voltage. Seemed all fine. Only exception was voltage at burner solenoid was lower. Thinking that is what causing the burner valve to not open and concluded that module ran out of life. ordered a new module. Installed it Same result!

Then checked the continuity from pilot assembly to module. Looked like sensor rod (white wire) is short somewhere. Ordered entire Ipi module as sensor rod is not sold as separate. After replacing - same result.

At this point i was pretty frustrated and only piece remaining to replace was the valve. Ordered it. Dont know why i started tapping the valve from all sides. Guess what, fireplace came to life, as if nothing was broken.
Tapping on the regulator can work but it is recommended that if a valve sticks, it should be replaced. With that being said, I have used 6 volts on the main burner to fix a fireplace with the same issue as yours, and it is still working fine 6 years later.