Modifying a Wood Burning Stove (US Stove 2007b)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shuabills

Oct 23, 2019
Northeast Ohio
It's me again. Wood Stove Noob.

So after getting a lot of info from you guys, I have found out that my us Stove 2007b is a wood hog
AND
has no air control, besides the stove pipe damper.

Curious what your guys thoughts are on adding a piece of sliding metal to cover up the air intake holes on the upper portion of the Stove?

Is this asking for trouble? I can't imagine it causing it to burn even hotter but maybe dirtier.

The pipe damper isn't for fire control. You open it when you are using the stove and close it when you're not.
Like a fireplace.
You're going to use it to try to slow things down though, because it is there and can be common practice with strong draft tall chimneys.
It might be easier to find a magnet to cover the bottom hole with.

You risk making a lot of smoking trying to slow a 35:1 stove down and even though you shouldn't, you're going to until you can find/afford a better stove.
They really shouldn't have been allowed to make the things but they were. So that's that.

The pipe damper isn't for fire control. You open it when you are using the stove and close it when you're not.
Like a fireplace.
You're going to use it to try to slow things down though, because it is there and can be common practice with strong draft tall chimneys.
It might be easier to find a magnet to cover the bottom hole with.

You risk making a lot of smoking trying to slow a 35:1 stove down and even though you shouldn't, you're going to until you can find/afford a better stove.
They really shouldn't have been allowed to make the things but they were. So that's that.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, i learned that the damper isnt really made to control the fire, sadly left with that as my only option. My chimney is 35'+ SS with insulation.

I read a couple people saying changing the air intake "Could" equal more creosote. So maybe ill let it be since I dont want to increase the chances of my family burning alive.

Yeah, if you cut it back (especially during the first part of the burn) too much and it starts billowing smoke - you can almost guarantee you're making creosote. You gotta keep an eye on it. I'd be playing with a magnet to see if making a shutter was worthwhile.
You pretty much have a thirty year old design and most of them had air shutters.