MOE All nighter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Steve1123

Feb 12, 2017
Hartford
Hey all I'm having an issue that I'm trying to get resolved. I'm new to then wood stove world so sorry in advance. I bought a home last year and it has a Moe All Nighter in the basement (raised ranch). The past few times I've tried to get it fired up smoke just billows out of the pipe in the back and out the nobs on the front door. I have the fan hooked up on the bottom left hole near the front door. Chimney was cleaned this past summer and no grate on the chimney top. Any ideas on what my issue might be?

Attachments

• 1486932161340-1492427713.jpg
    1486932161340-1492427713.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 198
Basement installs can be notoriously cranky due to negative pressure there, especially with exterior chimneys. Try to warm up the chimney first with a newspaper fire, kindling fire, propane torch.

Hey all I'm having an issue that I'm trying to get resolved. I'm new to then wood stove world so sorry in advance. I bought a home last year and it has a Moe All Nighter in the basement (raised ranch). The past few times I've tried to get it fired up smoke just billows out of the pipe in the back and out the nobs on the front door. I have the fan hooked up on the bottom left hole near the front door. Chimney was cleaned this past summer and no grate on the chimney top. Any ideas on what my issue might be?
You might have to open the basement door or window to get an up draft then light the fire.

Open the wood stove door about 20 minutes prior to building a fire and let the chimney develop a draw from the heat inside your house.

Agreed with begreen. My stove is in the basement and cold starts in the winter can be tough. My method is a blowtorch and a boxfan. That warms the flue after several minutes, enough to start the draft. Each situation is different though.