MoGas 91 Octane - ethanol free

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
I've been trying to locate ethanol free gas near me (I'm in New Hampshire) and there are not a lot of options. I did however find an airfield selling ethanol free fuel at 91 octane called "MoGas" for $4.95 per gallon. I would like to not pay $36 per gallon for Stihl MotoMix, and instead use ethanol free gas with Stihl oil.

Does anyone on these forums have information on "MoGas"? I know the octane rating on MotoMix is 93 or 92, I'm looking for a cheaper source for fuel that can store longer than the stupid E10 that everyone everywhere sells.

I've been trying to locate ethanol free gas near me (I'm in New Hampshire) and there are not a lot of options. I did however find an airfield selling ethanol free fuel at 91 octane called "MoGas" for $4.95 per gallon. I would like to not pay $36 per gallon for Stihl MotoMix, and instead use ethanol free gas with Stihl oil.

Does anyone on these forums have information on "MoGas"? I know the octane rating on MotoMix is 93 or 92, I'm looking for a cheaper source for fuel that can store longer than the stupid E10 that everyone everywhere sells.
MoGas is just short for Motor Gasoline. Small air crafts can use it. It is cheaper than AvGas (Aviation Gasoline).

Hi peakbagger, yes I found that site, but it looks like a lot of those are selling 5 gallon cans or smaller. Most of the ones that I've checked that list the octane at 94 are selling VP racing which is the pre-formulated stuff. I'm in southern NH so the ones that do seem to have a pump are a long drive away. Thank you for including that link though.

Jan pijpelink, thanks for the explanation. The airfield I found near me sells the MoGas 91 octane for $4.95 as well as the AvGas listed at 100LL for $5.30 per gallon. I'm thinking the 91 octane will be good for small engines. I just want to be able to fuel up things like generators, blowers, etc., and not have to worry about them over the winter.

I'll keep searching on that site and see if any listed stations actually have pumps instead of cans and are not 2 plus hours away. I wish we could do away with E10 altogether.

Hi peakbagger, yes I found that site, but it looks like a lot of those are selling 5 gallon cans or smaller. Most of the ones that I've checked that list the octane at 94 are selling VP racing which is the pre-formulated stuff. I'm in southern NH so the ones that do seem to have a pump are a long drive away. Thank you for including that link though.

Jan pijpelink, thanks for the explanation. The airfield I found near me sells the MoGas 91 octane for $4.95 as well as the AvGas listed at 100LL for $5.30 per gallon. I'm thinking the 91 octane will be good for small engines. I just want to be able to fuel up things like generators, blowers, etc., and not have to worry about them over the winter.

I'll keep searching on that site and see if any listed stations actually have pumps instead of cans and are not 2 plus hours away. I wish we could do away with E10 altogether.
Octane 91 will do just fine in small engines.

I have seen and used real live pumps in Gorham and Woodsville. There is a new station in Berlin that has a pump. The Gorham station is owned by P&L out of Errol NH and expect there is pump in Groveton. The ATV crowd likes to burn it so where ever there are ATVs up north there most likely is a pump.

I used to buy it over in Woodsville from a pump but havent been by there for a few years.

Thanks for the detailed information peakbagger! I think I'll head over to the airfield and see what I can see. Another question is how to get a gas can that doesn't suck. I've tried a lot of plastic cans over the years and the spouts on all of them are awful.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Thanks for the detailed information peakbagger! I think I'll head over to the airfield and see what I can see. Another question is how to get a gas can that doesn't suck. I've tried a lot of plastic cans over the years and the spouts on all of them are awful.
Can you use a funnel instead? I never use the spouts, they suck indeed.

I suppose I could, lay the saw or whatever on it's side and aim for the funnel. Better than wasting money on more gas cans. We put a man on the moon almost 50 years ago, but there still isn't an inexpensive gas can that doesn't suck, it's crazy.

I suppose I could, lay the saw or whatever on it's side and aim for the funnel. Better than wasting money on more gas cans. We put a man on the moon almost 50 years ago, but there still isn't an inexpensive gas can that doesn't suck, it's crazy.
I fill a glass bottle with gasoline and my oil mix. The narrow neck of the bottle is just perfect for filling the fuel tank without any funnel. I use the funnel for larger tanks.

We have had many a discussion on fuel cans on this site. I prefer the VP 5 gallon racing fuel jugs with the clear hoses and strainer for long term storage . They arent officially a gas can as they dont have the fancy hardware but they "look like a duck and act like a duck" so I use them as they are much heavier duty than any other gas can. I use a small 1 gallon can with the emissions spout trashed for my actual chainsaw fuel mix. The other thing I use for when I go way in the woods are MSR fuel bottles (normally used for camp stoves). I just pour directly into the tank.

I usually head up to Freedom Market (in Freedom of course) this time of year and fill some cans that I use in my small engines.

Cut the bottom off a plastic bottle, remove the cap, and use that like a funnel. Easier to hold and free.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
All great ideas, I actually do have a couple home made funnels like that.

Here in Ontario, Reg is 87 oct, up to 10% ethanol. Mid is 89 oct, up to 5% ethanol and Premium is 91 oct, 0% ethanol, we have 1 gas bar in town that has a separate Premium pump,I use it most, all the others have combo pumps. If I have to get Premium at them, I put 5 Liters in my van first then full my gas cans so I'm not getting Reg in my cans. On the gas can front, we can still buy old style cans at Walmart, and for my small 2 stroke machines i only use 10 liter (2 gal} cans, easier to handle and less waste as I don't let it sit around long.

If you stay away from additives or fuel stabilizer with ethanol based fuel you will have no issues. Our weather is about the same as the OP and the only time i have ever had issues with ethanol based fuel is when i used stabilizer in it. 3 jerry cans went bad over the winter and messed up the carbs of everything it touched.. Iv been running ethanol based fuel for over 5 years in 3 atv,s, and all kinds of lawn equipment and have never had a issue as long as i stay away from the stabilizers. The small import atv has been sitting for over a year and just fired it up the other day no issues.. For fuel storage for my chainsaw that travels on my atv i use one of those premixed bottles of fuel you can buy and just kept refilling it for the last 5 years.. I wrapped it with some tape to prevent damage from bouncing around in the back of my atv. For bar oil i used a empty seafoam can.. works great

That's interesting zrock as it's pretty much the exact opposite of common wisdom. I've had plenty of people tell me that ethanol blended fuel is fine as long as you use stabilizer in it. I have used "Stabil" in the past and had no issues, sorry to hear of you having problems like that.

there's a store/market in Enfield that sells ethanol-free gas. pump #3!
regarding additives, a few years ago i started using the marine-grade Stabil. works great for me. my mowers sit in my shed all winter, and always fire right up in the spring. the only time i've heard of folks having problems with Stabil is when they use waaaay too much.

Just a quick word about the 100LL AvGas mentioned above... the LL stands for low lead. Not something I want exhausting out two feet from my intake. Just an FYI.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Just got back from Hampton Airfield with ten gallons of 91 octane pure gas. I’ll be going back there now that I know where it is