Moisture content for OUTDOOR firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys. so this was our first winter with a wood stove! Learned a ton here and through experience and can't wait for next year.

Though we burned a ton more wood over the winter, we reserve a third of a cord for outdoor campfires in our fire ring and campsite.

I know that firewood for the stove should be less than 20% moisture content. However, any clue on what can burn in an outdoor campfire? Obviously not looking for efficiency.

We have a ton of oak and maple that isn't seasoned for this year, probably at 28% give or take. Wondering if we can burn some of that outside or if we'd need the help of kerosene to get it going.

Thanks guys

I like mine every bit as dry, so it doesn’t smoke us out. But it should burn with a decent breeze, though.

I burn a lot of "slash" or branches that are not big enough for firewood, generally stuff thats 4" and under, I suspect that most of those branches are 35% and under, I just make a hot fire with known dead stuff then add the wetter stuff as I go, not really a lot of smoke either, sometimes lots of hissing and noticeable moisture coming out the ends.

My not-so-super-secret to getting a slash or bonfire going is cardboard . . . enough cardboard and you can pretty much burn any wood regardless of how fresh cut it may be.

awesome tips, thank you all!