Moisture content wood with bark off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neverbilly

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2015
Arkansas, USA
I bought a moisture meter recently and tested several pieces of wood. Always did a new split per test. I was surprised with results. I have taken down some standing dead trees lately. We lost a bunch over the past year or two due to severe drought and the attendant stress. Bark is falling off. I figured they would be drier, but they are 34-38% moisture. Oak.

Oak takes 2 to 3 years to dry after its been split. It will dry faster with the bark off but it still needs to be split before it's going to get dry. I have been cutting some standing dead elm and the branches up to 5 or 6 inches are below 18%but the big stuff has to be split and will be next winter before it's dry enough.

Reactions: Getameapizza
Limbs may be ready to burn but if it needs to be split most likely will need to be c/s/s for 2-3 years.

I have 3 year red oak split and stacked and right around 21%. I don't use it until it's under 20. I'm fortunate to be able to wait I know. I really rather have BL or Ash. I don't turn oak down though.

37% to 34% reading on old oak logs is around what I find. I stack all the Oak together, green and dead standing so...you know...
But green live Oak trees are supposed to have like 78% moisture. So 35% is relative.
When I test a live green tree my meter reads 50% with the little overload beeper going. The too wet warning beep. Lol.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
37% to 34% reading on old oak logs is around what I find. I stack all the Oak together, green and dead standing so...you know...
But green live Oak trees are supposed to have like 78% moisture. So 35% is relative.
When I test a live green tree my meter reads 50% with the little overload beeper going. The too wet warning beep. Lol.
I had a couple of red oaks on the ground for 2+ years, long enough to start getting punky under the bark. I brought a couple of freshly bucked & split pieces inside and warmed them up yesterday. MM registered overload (>50%). Surprised me that it hadn't "seasoned" over time, but I should have figured when I split that wood and found it so heavy & fragrant!

Reactions: Applesister
I think species makes a difference. I just took down an ash tree that was ~20" dbh. It had been standing dead with no bark for several years. Most of the wood besides the bottom 4-5 ft was very dry. I didn't moisture meter it, but it was obvious. Ping sounds when you would throw splits, no noticeable smell, and light. I have also cut standing dead black locust with no bark that I burned that week. Those were smaller 12-14" trees.

I was just looking at a chart of green moisture content tree ratings. Rated by driest to wettest(when green). It was linked from here. But I dont remember where it was or much of the info but I believe Ash and Black locust were high up on the list with like Oak and Willow at the bottom.
So..yeah, species is everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.