Moisture meter advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john81

Oct 30, 2021
Netherlands
Hi,

I'm still new to wood burning. Unfortunately I have some trouble with my new Morsoe 1412 stove as it leaks smoke while refilling it. I've read recommendations for buying a wood moisture meter. I try to restrict myself from buying to much electronic (environment polluting) devices, but at the same time I would like to get insight in my wood quality: I bought two loads from my local seller, 1 dry and 1 wet, but I don't know how dry the dry load actually is. It looks and flees dry, but how dry? Do you think I should buy such a device and if so, should I go for a cheap one ore more expensive one? I prefer to buy quality products and I found this one which looks good to me, with a clear info sheet and manual:

https://www.greisinger.de/files/upload/en/produkte/sheet/GMR110_PI_e.pdf

Yes, I think it's good to buy one. Not only for convenience (dry wood -> no smoke) but also for safety. Burning wood that's too wet can create creosote deposits in your flue, which could cause a chimney fire. The environmental impact of that would be large too (in addition to the wet wood burning, fijnstof, stuff).

The one you propose looks good to me. More fancy than mine. I have a General Tools mmd4e

I have used mine more places than checking firewood. How high does my dry wall need cut after a leak. Is that spot on the ceiling due to water leaking ect. Having sharp pins is nice for the interior work. My firewood just bends them all up. I went for the cheapest option. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: stoveliker
A firewood moisture meter is really used for a relative reading. It doesn't and won't be extremely accurate unless you pay a lot of money ($100) for it.
Unfortunately in the States we can not routinely buy a cord of wood and expect it to be fully seasoned ~20% mc for a stove.
We need to buy and stack for 2 years at least, for hard woods.
I suspect none of your purchased wood is truly seasoned.