Moisture meter for firewood and lumber?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AndrewU

Burning Hunk
Dec 1, 2019
Sedro-Woolley WA
I need a moisture meter, but I'd like to just get 1 that will work well for both firewood and lumber as I'll be chainsaw milling some logs. Prefer pinless so as not to damage the lumber. But I read some stuff about the pinless not being as good for firewood, so wanted to check the hive mind here. Search didn't turn up anything very recent here on the lumber and firewood issue.

I have been using a moisture meter with points on lumber that was or will be used
in furniture making for 35 years. Can,t say I have seen point marks in any custom
furniture I have made. Then again I check moisture in rough-cut lumber before it is
run over a jointer and through a planer which would remove any marks.
Never used a point meter on finished wood never had a need too and if I did
I would use it on the underside or a hidden joint or end grain where it would not be seen
Note fairly good meters can be had for under 50$ that work well for firewood and
the weekend woodworker

As a cabinet maker I used moisture meters allot. And never trusted the pinless meters. I was always able to avoid the pin holes.

I purchased a pinless hygrometer thinking the exact same thing, but it is very inconsistent.

I use pins for both lumber and firewood.