moisture reading kinda fun!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oppirs

Sep 14, 2012
SE Illinois
Well after reading many posts, I got a cheap reader. I've been burning for 20+ but in the home for 9 years. Never new I get one cheap(reader).

I'm really glad I joined. Info by you folks is the bomb. I did the knock test and it 4 the most part worked. Was surprised after a rain the ends ran 36%+ but the interior was at 16%. Some of my wood is at 6%, scary dry inside.

What do we want as a value for the new season burn, in %? Since I have alot of oak- Oak is at 19%(1 1/2 years split )

20% is the general consensus around here. Still, for the most part, the drier the better and it sounds like you know what you are doing.

Well after reading many posts, I got a cheap reader. I've been burning for 20+ but in the home for 9 years. Never new I get one cheap(reader).

I'm really glad I joined. Info by you folks is the bomb. I did the knock test and it 4 the most part worked. Was surprised after a rain the ends ran 36%+ but the interior was at 16%. Some of my wood is at 6%, scary dry inside.

What do we want as a value for the new season burn, in %? Since I have alot of oak- Oak is at 19%(1 1/2 years split )

Welcome to the forum! Yes 20% is the goal that most have, although many have drier. I'm surprised your oak is that dry after only a year and a half but that is great for you!

Welcome to the forum! Yes 20% is the goal that most have, although many have drier. I'm surprised your oak is that dry after only a year and a half but that is great for you!

Hot dry here in SE IL, this Summer. Oak roasted in our heat No surprise here. Ready for a COLD one.

Yrs been, Wood is a mix of Oak, maple, ash, hickory, cherry, apple & locust. W/ Red ceder at the ready. Swamp Oak the main one.

Here's a pix in April. Wood stack is huge now. 5 sticks deep. Lot of air movement until the corn grows.
Charli 1 033.jpg

Nice thing is I can cut the dead one's of those trees in the background (Oak & Ash), tallest are Sycamores but I tackle the 40 you can't see (Oak & Cherry)

Status
Not open for further replies.