Monitoring discharge air temperature...It's easy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no reason for one,Mine is built into my control box :):)
You can see the change when making your air adjustments.But only for exhaust and fire box not discharge at exchangers

002-1.jpg

My high tech thermometer is a candy thermometer clipped to a piece right angle roof flashing.
Reads up to 400 deg F.

Hello

If you want to measure the wood pellet stove heat output accurately and on it’s highest setting, I recommend the $25.00 digital Cole-Palmer and also purchase the high temperature heat probe. Most thermometers do not measure up to 1500 degrees like this one! My Avalon Astoria on low is 250 and high is over 600 degrees F !!

See my post below
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/52626/

See cole-palmer web site
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8646003

Large pic
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/large_image.asp?sku=8646003&img=86460_03 _05.jpg

This meter has a 4-ft. ribbon micro-cable that allows you to place the probe within an area and close the door without affecting the probe or the door seal. Accurately monitor temperature within freezers, water baths, heating blocks, incubators, refrigerators, and other areas. The meter includes a fast-response type-K probe that can be used for general purpose applications. Users can also choose from a wide verity of probe sold separately for surface, liquid, air or semi-solid materials.
What�s Included:
one beaded-wire type K probe, NIST-traceable certificate, leatherette case, and one 9 V battery
Specifications
Temp range -58 to 1382�F
Resolution 1�F
Accuracy �2�F .75% between 32 to 932�F and �2�F 1% between 933 to 1382�F. Below 32 accuracies are: -4 � 8�F, -40�F � 8�F, and -58�F � 10�F
Probe Thermocouple
Display 4-digit LCD, 0.7� high
Probe type Type-K
Probe(s) included Yes
Dimensions 2 3/4� W x 4 1/4�H x 3/4� (76 x 114 x 18mm).
Power 9-Volt Alkaline battery (included)

Good Luck

Attachments

• DigitalThermometer.jpg
    DigitalThermometer.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 241
earlll said:
Has anyone tested to see if more or less combustion air results in better heat for the room?

Yes, See this thread.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/67884/

I have more than doubled the CFM of my blower. The output temps were reduced but the air is moving at a higher velocity. I believe the heat was distributed faster as my recover time(time it takes to bring the temp up to satify the stat) was decreased.

Lots of folks here have mentioned having there stoves set on low heat settings, But keep there fans on high. Distributes the heat about faster IMHO. As long as you can stand the extra noise.

earlll said:
j-takeman said:
earlll said:
Has anyone tested to see if more or less combustion air results in better heat for the room?

Yes, See this thread.

I have more than doubled the CFM of my blower. The output temps were reduced but the air is moving at a higher velocity. I believe the heat was distributed faster as my recover time(time it takes to bring the temp up to satify the stat) was decreased.

Lots of folks here have mentioned having there stoves set on low heat settings, But keep there fans on high. Distributes the heat about faster IMHO. As long as you can stand the extra noise.

Sorry, I meant combustion air. Same feed of pellets compared to a change in combbustion air measured by the thermometers in this thread. I've seen threads where different flames are supposed to be better but this setup for reading the stove temperature looks great for testing which flame causes a hotter stove.

My fault I didn't catch that. Some of the newer stoves have combustion speed trim. Basically the same as opening/closing the damper more. Closing the damper or lowering the combustion speed would send less heat out the vent. But there could be a price as you might get a rich condition. The burn might turn dark or sooty on you.

But if the flame is a blast furnace? You might be able to reduce it with blower speed or closing the damper some. What brand stove do you have?

Don2222 said:
Hello

If you want to measure the wood pellet stove heat output accurately and on it’s highest setting, I recommend the $25.00 digital Cole-Palmer and also purchase the high temperature heat probe. Most thermometers do not measure up to 1500 degrees like this one! My Avalon Astoria on low is 250 and high is over 600 degrees F !!

See my post below
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/52626/

See cole-palmer web site
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8646003

Large pic
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/large_image.asp?sku=8646003&img=86460_03 _05.jpg

This meter has a 4-ft. ribbon micro-cable that allows you to place the probe within an area and close the door without affecting the probe or the door seal. Accurately monitor temperature within freezers, water baths, heating blocks, incubators, refrigerators, and other areas. The meter includes a fast-response type-K probe that can be used for general purpose applications. Users can also choose from a wide verity of probe sold separately for surface, liquid, air or semi-solid materials.
What�s Included:
one beaded-wire type K probe, NIST-traceable certificate, leatherette case, and one 9 V battery
Specifications
Temp range -58 to 1382�F
Resolution 1�F
Accuracy �2�F .75% between 32 to 932�F and �2�F 1% between 933 to 1382�F. Below 32 accuracies are: -4 � 8�F, -40�F � 8�F, and -58�F � 10�F
Probe Thermocouple
Display 4-digit LCD, 0.7� high
Probe type Type-K
Probe(s) included Yes
Dimensions 2 3/4� W x 4 1/4�H x 3/4� (76 x 114 x 18mm).
Power 9-Volt Alkaline battery (included)

Good Luck

I dig it!!! Just ordered one. I've only been burning for just under 3 weeks and have been playing with intake air, etc to record my best output temps. Measuring at the register with a meat thermometer is quite elementary and takes a long time to see results....this thing should be perfect for seeing change/results quickly and accurately in the heat exchange tubes.

earlll said:
j-takeman said:
earlll said:
j-takeman said:
earlll said:

Yes, See this thread.

Sorry, I meant combustion air. Same feed of pellets compared to a change in combbustion air measured by the thermometers in this thread. I've seen threads where different flames are supposed to be better but this setup for reading the stove temperature looks great for testing which flame causes a hotter stove.

My fault I didn't catch that. Some of the newer stoves have combustion speed trim. Basically the same as opening/closing the damper more. Closing the damper or lowering the combustion speed would send less heat out the vent. But there could be a price as you might get a rich condition. The burn might turn dark or sooty on you.

But if the flame is a blast furnace? You might be able to reduce it with blower speed or closing the damper some. What brand stove do you have?
I just got an Englander 25pdvc,used, with the mysterious 3 bottom buttons. It burns fine but I dont mind soot on the glass if I can get more heat from the pellets. I have read some posts that seem to claim such & would guess that the more air that blows outside, the more heat wasted?

I don't have much tinker time on the Englanders, But AFAIK it can be adjusted in the control panel. I would say yes, The lower you have the air should reduce the heat loss. But I am sure there is a balance that has to be looked at. To low of combustion air can also clog the stove. It will require some playing time to find a medium happy point.

Great thread! I'm curious if monitoring the exhaust temp of the combustion air would give any indication of when the heat exchangers are becoming fouled with soot and ash. The delta between the discharging room air and the combustion air should provide an idea of the efficiency of the heat exchanger since the accumulating soot and ash acts as an insulator and prohibits the transfer of heat. Any thoughts or has anyone tried this?

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.