Montecito Estate: What do these tubes do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dave48103

Nov 25, 2015
Ann Arbor, MI
We just finished the installation of our Astria Montecito Estate CAT fireplace. We love it, the heat it puts out is amazing. On a 13° day we heated the house to 78°. The catalyst is easy to use. What I was wondering is what are these three tubes that run across the top of the fireplace with the holes in them. It seems as though at different points flames come out of them. I was just wondering what their purpose was?
Here is a pic pointed up toward the top of the fireplace. (The catalyst is in the foreground)

75103ea021e0c427d03a90ccaa4e6635.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice shot. The Montecito Estate is a hybrid. It has secondary air tubes to burn up the volatile wood gases coming off the wood and the cat to clean up any smoke that was missed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave48103
Yet another hybrid with no flame shield future? Wondering if that shield might be overrated.

What would be the use of a flame shield?
to keep flames from directly contacting the cat. Some stoves have had problems with premature cat failure when there is flame impingement on the cat.

Yet another hybrid with no flame shield future? Wondering if that shield might be overrated.
I was looking at the design and I am not certain there is no flame shield.

Dave, are you there ? We need you to clarify .

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 10.14.12 PM.png

So , no shield ? Right ?

Not sure what qualifies as a "shield", or if it even matters. The surrounding of the assembly is solid metal, but there's nothing directly in front of the catalyst. The flames don't really directly come in contact the catalyst. I guess we'll just find out in a year or two and see if the catalyst fails prematurely. For now, I'm thrilled with the unit, the heat output is amazing, it's easy to operate, the burn time has been great, and my furnace has not kicked on yet (we live in Michigan).

What you have in a picture is flames that sucked in your catalist . I have same thing in a beginning if burn. Some say it's bad thing

It appears to be in a grated housing .

I'm still not sure what the detriment is to having flames touch the catalyst. I burn almost exclusively maple and ash, so I'm not too concerned about gunking up the catalyst, if that's the issue. Either way the fireplace is wonderful and very simple to use. It has exceeded my expectations of heat output and burn time. I promise to let people know if it prematurely fails in a couple of years

I'm still not sure what the detriment is to having flames touch the catalyst. I burn almost exclusively maple and ash, so I'm not too concerned about gunking up the catalyst, if that's the issue. Either way the fireplace is wonderful and very simple to use. It has exceeded my expectations of heat output and burn time. I promise to let people know if it prematurely fails in a couple of years

Awesome!
Fireplaces don't seem to suffer with premature cat degradation from flame inpengment like stoves do. Maybe it's just not as noticeable because the air isn't reduced as much as a stove?

With those secondaries and a glowing cat that thing must be a ferocious heater. Love those secondaries.