Montpelier II stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AlanB.

Hi, I'm asking if anyone else has a Montpelier II wood insert and if they have to remove the whole face frame to remove the blower units. I know there's two bolts to remove but the only way I could remove blower unit was by taking face frame off which is a big pain. Thank you for your time. ab

Yes, that is the procedure listed in the manual. The same steps are required for the related Quad Expedition II insert plus the door needs to be removed too.

How has the insert been working? Is this the first or second season with it?

Yes, that is the procedure listed in the manual. The same steps are required for the related Quad Expedition II insert plus the door needs to be removed too.

Thank you for your time and reply. The Montpelier ii works very well. This is our third season and we've pushed quite a bit of wood through it. It's our primary heat source and we're in New Hampshire. Like anything in life, there's Pros and Cons but we love it.

Hi, I'm asking if anyone else has a Montpelier II wood insert and if they have to remove the whole face frame to remove the blower units. I know there's two bolts to remove but the only way I could remove blower unit was by taking face frame off which is a big pain. Thank you for your time. ab
Alan,
My Montpelier Medium Insert blower is making a grinding noise. I am going to take it out to try and see if I can clean it out. It is about 10 years old. Were you able to get it out? Was it difficult?
Thanks,
Chris

Alan,
My Montpelier Medium Insert blower is making a grinding noise. I am going to take it out to try and see if I can clean it out. It is about 10 years old. Were you able to get it out? Was it difficult?
Thanks,
Chris
You can take the facade off, it's easier with two people as it's probably as heavy as mine. Then the blower unit comes out.

You can take the facade off, it's easier with two people as it's probably as heavy as mine. Then the blower unit comes out.
Thanks!!
Did you just replace the blower? If so did you also replace everything that goes with it or just the blower?
Chris

Hello,

Hoping someone in the forum can assist. We just moved into a house that has a Montpelier II Wood Insert (Model MONTP-II-BM). Although my previous house had a standard fireplace, I have no experience with a wood stove or insert.

My question is, how and when do I activate the "start-up air control"?

I have downloaded the manual, but the instructions aren't very helpful. I contacted Vermont Castings and they were even less helpful (referred me to my local dealer). I visited my local dealer and they did not seem too sure and advise that I see what I can find on YouTube.

I am sure that I am overthinking it, but I am just looking for some basic instructions on how to use this insert - specifically, the Start-up Air Control and Blower.

Appreciate any information.

Thanks,
Dave

Hello,

Hoping someone in the forum can assist. We just moved into a house that has a Montpelier II Wood Insert (Model MONTP-II-BM). Although my previous house had a standard fireplace, I have no experience with a wood stove or insert.

My question is, how and when do I activate the "start-up air control"?

I have downloaded the manual, but the instructions aren't very helpful. I contacted Vermont Castings and they were even less helpful (referred me to my local dealer). I visited my local dealer and they did not seem too sure and advise that I see what I can find on YouTube.

I am sure that I am overthinking it, but I am just looking for some basic instructions on how to use this insert - specifically, the Start-up Air Control and Blower.

Appreciate any information.

Thanks,
Dave
Start up air is exactly that. Light your fire, and push in the ACC (start up air). It's on a timer and will go off by itself. You can use it on reloads too, but I only need it when I let it go way too long and I have almost no coals remaining.

The blower, you can turn it on when you have a good fire going. IMO when you use the automatic function it waits way too long to come on. Just turn it on manually and if it blows out hot air, you're good to go. Let me know if you have any more questions, I have the same stove, quadra fire branded

Reactions: db19
Start up air is exactly that. Light your fire, and push in the ACC (start up air). It's on a timer and will go off by itself. You can use it on reloads too, but I only need it when I let it go way too long and I have almost no coals remaining.

The blower, you can turn it on when you have a good fire going. IMO when you use the automatic function it waits way too long to come on. Just turn it on manually and if it blows out hot air, you're good to go. Let me know if you have any more questions, I have the same stove, quadra fire branded
Thank you!! This is by far the best information I've received on this. I really appreciate it. Going to give it a try for the first time this weekend. And, considering it's going to be below zero here in MA Saturday, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks again! Dave

Exactly what he said is perfect for the operation of the Montpelier II. We have had one for three years and it heats the whole house.

Reactions: db19
Exactly what he said is perfect for the operation of the Montpelier II. We have had one for three years and it heats the whole house.
Thank you! Very excited to use it. Good to know that you have same one and works well.

Thank you! Very excited to use it. Good to know that you have same one and works well.
I'm honestly not too thrilled with mine. I put a piece of angle iron 8" long on top of the baffle to obstruct the direct path to the chimney. Before I did this, the liner connector would glow red because flames were going straight up the chimney, and there's nothing you can do about it since you can't control the air.

Other than that, it is built well and easy to service

I'm honestly not too thrilled with mine. I put a piece of angle iron 8" long on top of the baffle to obstruct the direct path to the chimney. Before I did this, the liner connector would glow red because flames were going straight up the chimney, and there's nothing you can do about it since you can't control the air.

Other than that, it is built well and easy to service
That's another thing that I am not 100 clear on...I don't see a flue damper lever on my fireplace. Is that no longer used or needed with the insert? Sorry if it's a stupid question. Again, just moved into the house and all my previous experiences with fireplaces was the standard type where you just opened the damper when using the fireplace and closed it when not in use to avoid losing heat through the chimney.

That's another thing that I am not 100 clear on...I don't see a flue damper lever on my fireplace. Is that no longer used or needed with the insert? Sorry if it's a stupid question. Again, just moved into the house and all my previous experiences with fireplaces was the standard type where you just opened the damper when using the fireplace and closed it when not in use to avoid losing heat through the chimney.
That's right there is no flue damper unless a key damper was put in, which is unusual for an insert. The heat loss is minimal with the door shut