Montreal adopts strictest emission laws in North America

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougA

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2012
S. ON
Saw this today. If you live in Montreal, you will have to register your wood burning appliance or face a $500. fine. New emission standards are to be 2.5 g or less per hour. IMHO, this will become common in many areas as politicians get on board to clean up our air. Law starts coming into effect today.

Story is here: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...es-and-wood-burning-stoves-or-face-a-500-fine

Dec. 22 is the deadline for Montreal residents to register all fireplaces or wood-burning stoves (or anything that burns solid matter, as opposed to fuel or electric). It’s part of a plan adopted by the city of Montreal to implement stricter air-pollution regulations by 2018. Dorval recently adopted similar measures.

Montreal sent out 47,000 letters to residents it suspects has the appliances, based on records of municipal home evaluations. As of late November, the city had compiled 23,000 online responses.

The penalty for residents who have not registered wood-burning fireplaces or stoves is a fine of up to $500.

Starting in 2018, wood-burning appliances will be banned unless they meet the rigorous new emission standards of 2.5 grams of fine particles or less per hour. The bylaw is among the strictest in North America, said Réal Ménard, the city’s executive committee responsible for the environment. Presently, transforming a stove or fireplace with inserts so that it is in compliance with the coming regulations costs between $2,000 and $8,000.

Also part of the new bylaw:

• No wood-burning appliances can be operated on smog days, when air pollution rates are considered dangerously high.

• During power outages lasting longer than three hours, even non-compliant wood-burning devices may be used.

The whole registering part is a bit scary. The 2.5 gph is quite low but certainly not impossible. WA has been at 4.5 gph for many many years.

I see it as another tax coming our way. Register now so we can tax you later. Cities are looking for any way they can add tax revenue and we're the new target.

Reactions: saskwoodburner
Registering is what canadians do best lol,not news to us been coming down the pipe for a while.i'm outside montreal so i should be okay for a couple of years.problem here is even most of dealers are not to up to date on burn tech when looking for stove actually had one tell me cats where on the way out. And try finding dry wood impossible not much storage space in city.

Status
Not open for further replies.