More clearance questions......Jotul F3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokoni

Nov 28, 2005
My manual says with rear heatsheild and double wall pipe, which I have, that my clearances to unprotected surfaces should be:
Side 18"
Rear 14"
Corner 17"
I have 14" from the back of the stove to the wall but from the bottom of the double wall pipe to the wood moulding I have only 13". Is this safe? I am good on all sides and corners. Nothing within at least 40".

You're ok. That distance is measured from the back of the stove.

I like your picture. How long have you had your F3? What kind of advice do you have about it? Today is my second full day using mine (after burn in fires) and I still notice a little paint burning smell. Seems to be less and less. I am loving that my house is warm (er).

I installed the stove in August. Not too much to add outside of previous advice. It's a pretty forgiving stove. My wife finds it very easy to use. Here is a thread about my first experiences. Note, this was my install error and hopefully you won't ever experience this.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/46/

Enjoy the stove.

Most double wall pipes are 9" or less to combustiables according to their manufactures specs
13" is plenty clearance for double wall pipe good luck

elkimmeg said:
Most double wall pipes are 9" or less to combustiables according to their manufactures specs
13" is plenty clearance for double wall pipe good luck
The double wall pipe we just put in has the SS in side and steel out side painted black . Its clearance to combustiables is 6" . The stove is also 6" to combustiables on the back side so that puts the pipe at 9' from the wall .

Now I just read that the double wall pipe can not pass through a wall and be enclosed? Mine passes through the Micore, single sheet, and behind that is a large air space- 3' x 3' and the double wall connects to the connector pipe. Unfortunately I did not have the double wall info. sheet until after the install. I read the manual clearances about 2,000 times but didn't have this other info. Does anyone have an opinion on it passing through the wall? You guys are great. I am learning so much! Also, I've emailed and asked my city inspector to come back out now that I have the wall built up-they asked that I leave everything exposed so they could see connections prior to approving my job. I'm hoping he will come to supress my worries. Not used to having a 500 degree stove sitting in the middle of my house!

Providing you used the right protective wall boot adapter double wall pipe is the only approved pipe to go through a wall. That said you used double wall pipe with the through the wall boot you should be ok

I don't know what a wall boot adapter is? The double wall just runs from the back of my stove, through the Micore and connects to the connector pipe.

elkimmeg said:
Providing you used the right protective wall boot adapter double wall pipe is the only approved pipe to go through a wall. That said you used double wall pipe with the through the wall boot you should be ok

Let's be clearer....

two kinds of double wall:

1. Class A (CHimney)
2. Interior Double wall close clearance stovepipe.

#1 can go through walls no problem as long as it meets the distance to combustibles.

I suspect, although I don't have any manuals handy, that #2 CANNOT pass through combustible walls.

That said, your install may still be safe since you might be passing through a non-combustible wall and might still be maintaining clearances....

The reason that #2 would ne be allowed to pass through walls is that the exterior of said pipe can be plain black steel, which could rot (undetected) inside the wall. Also the clearances are usually further to this pipe - far enough that it would not properly fit between studs.

Sounds like you are on the case.

Webmaster said:
elkimmeg said:

Let's be clearer....

two kinds of double wall:

1. Class A (CHimney)
2. Interior Double wall close clearance stovepipe.

#1 can go through walls no problem as long as it meets the distance to combustibles.

I suspect, although I don't have any manuals handy, that #2 CANNOT pass through combustible walls.

That said, your install may still be safe since you might be passing through a non-combustible wall and might still be maintaining clearances....

The reason that #2 would ne be allowed to pass through walls is that the exterior of said pipe can be plain black steel, which could rot (undetected) inside the wall. Also the clearances are usually further to this pipe - far enough that it would not properly fit between studs.

Sounds like you are on the case.

My pipe info. says: Close Clerance Connector HT and I am passing through one layer of Micore 300-as far as I understand this product it is non combustible. Like I said before-behind the micore is 3'x3' of air space and the chimney connector. Do you still think it sounds like I am "on the case" or am I fired?
Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate all of the expert advice-this stuff is like brain surgery to me. I'm trying to hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.