Q&A More Heat From Double-Sided Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a fireplace which was once a standard configuration but at some point the firebox was broken through to create a see-through fireplace between a living room and an enclosed porch. This fireplace has one flue (sp?) and as you can guess I have a smoke problem. The only way I can have a fire in the fireplace is to keep both sets of glass doors closed which allows me to see the fire but I do not get a great deal of heat.Do you have any suggestions or can you recommend any products which would allow me to use this fireplace as a heating device?

Answer:

You have a couple options
1. Install a wood or gas burning fireplace insert in one side- and keep the other side closed off with glass doors. The insert would be connected direct to the chimney flue.
2. Extend the Chimney - you can extend the chimney taller using masonry, a clay chimney pot or the new lightweight metal chimney extenders. A taller chimney will draft better and perhaps help solve your problem.<p>
Another possibility is to lower the effective height of both sides of the fireplace by having a "smoke guard" made of sheet metal installed up against the steel lintel. This will lower the amount of draft needed to clear the opening of smoke.

Link: ExtendaFlue Chimney Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.