More heat or just a perception..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

speedracer

Nov 1, 2014
Tazewell, TN
Forgive this question but I had to ask anyway. I have a Jotul Firelight 12 with the catalytic converter. When I try to put it in non-bypass mode (through the catalyst) it flames out = using less than fully seasoned wood. So, I leave it in bypass mode. It seems that I get "more" heat when the glass doors are open and the fire is burning at its own pace than when the glass doors are closed and the air is being metered through the stove and the air inlet (full open). Is this correct? The instructions state it can/may be used with the doors open and the spark screen installed. So, in the bypassed mode which configuration will/should generate more heat: doors open or doors closed?? Thanks for your input on this..... Stay warm out there....

Perception is correct.

With the door open, you are feeling the radiant energy of the fire more directly (like standing in the sun versus the shade) however, at the same time, with the door open huge volumes of heated room air are being sucked up the chimney.

Essentially, it will feel warmer right next to the stove, but all the extra air leaving the home is getting replaced with cold air from outside, and cooling other parts of the house.

Reactions: bholler
When I leave my door open it heats my room up so much more, it also burns down the coals really well before I am ready to reload, I keep my door open only 20-30 minutes long at that stage only......
The glass door does keep a lot of heat back, having to rely on the blower to heat the room in normal operation....
I don't have a cat .....

Pen is absolulty right you are loosing allot of heated air with the doors open you feel warmer infront of the stove but the rest of the house is getting cooler. Not to mention it is dangerous in many ways especially in the coaling stage there is a large potential for co escaping.

You are defeating the whole purpose of a cat which is to burn the smoke and transfer that extra energy to the stove. You may "feel" like you are getting more heat in the bypass mode but you will actually "get" more heat with it closed and the catalyst engaged. Look up open fireplaces here and you will see what we all think about them. This is essentially what you have with your doors open.
A catalyst will light off at 500° so you're better off with your air wide-open and using the catalyst than letting the heat go up the bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.