Q&A More Heat with Stove doors open or closed ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We have a wood burning stove - and my husband and I are debating what's the best way to leave the doors ?... Opened or closed.? Can you help us with this question. I think it's better to leave the doors closed to generate the most heat- but my husband thinks that it's the opposite and that the doors should stay opened.

Answer:

Definitely leave them closed -- assuming you have air inlets - they can then be used to control the heat and burn time. While leaving them open may make you feel more heat when you are standing directly in front of the stove, what you don't see is that a vast quantity of room air AND heat from the fire are going up the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.