More Help Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ambull01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
Just got my second stove delivered (30-NCH). I feel pretty proud of myself as I was able to lift the stove with the delivery driver and bring it in my house. Heavy sucker.

My plan to have the stove out of the fireplace will not work, the exhaust outlet is too tall for a 90 degree pipe so I'll have to stick the stove in the chimney's firebox. With the stove in the chimney's firebox, will I lose a lot of heat? I was hoping I could place the stove out of the chimney's firebox so all the radiant heat could escape right into the room.

Also, I'm planning on dumping in loose perlite around the SS liner (I have an unlined masonry chimney). Anyone know how this setup will compare to the insulated liners?

With the stove in the chimney's firebox, will I lose a lot of heat?

Only when the fireplace is at an exterior wall. Then some heat may escape out the back into the yard. Otherwise, there will be little to no difference in heat output. However, a block-off plate is a must in any case. And be prepared that it will take a bit longer for the heat to be felt when you light a fire as the stove will first warm up the masonry before the heat goes into the room.
Also, I'm planning on dumping in loose perlite around the SS liner (I have an unlined masonry chimney). Anyone know how this setup will compare to the insulated liners?

Why not go for an insulated liner right away? With perlite you never know if it is around the liner on all sides evenly. It is actually likely that you have spot(s) where the liner touches the chimney.

Reactions: ambull01
Only when the fireplace is at an exterior wall. Then some heat may escape out the back into the yard. Otherwise, there will be little to no difference in heat output. However, a block-off plate is a must in any case. And be prepared that it will take a bit longer for the heat to be felt when you light a fire as the stove will first warm up the masonry before the heat goes into the room.

Why not go for an insulated liner right away? With perlite you never know if it is around the liner on all sides evenly. It is actually likely that you have spot(s) where the liner touches the chimney.

Thank you sir. I should have just sent you a PM after reading your previous post about perlite. That's good to know about no heat difference. I'm going to burn 24/7 so hopefully there will be no prolonged warm up period.

I was thinking about perlite since I'm dropping a lot of cash lately. The stove, liner, other maintenance items for the house, basement/crawlspace insulation, etc. I'll also have to rent a bucket lift to get on my roof.

The upside is that the hot masonry will give off heat long after the fire goes out, provided the fireplace and chimney are not on an exterior wall.

Don't buy the shields. I installed them thinking the air convecting up through them would put more heat out into the room. It didn't do anything noticeable.

With the block off plate angled up from back to front the air rises, hits it and comes out into the room.

Don't buy the shields. I installed them thinking the air convecting up through them would put more heat out into the room. It didn't do anything noticeable.

With the block off plate angled up from back to front the air rises, hits it and comes out into the room.

Was it easy to angle it? I haven't been able to look at the plate as of yet. I may need the side shields since there's wood trim around the chimney's opening. I'll have to measure the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.