More newbie questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CarolCR

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
I think im getting the hang of what the flame should look like and i adjusted to door latch nut to eliminate the small gap the installer left. When i did that i started to get small black soot spots just inside the gasket on the upper edge of the glass. Gasket seems intact and secure...not sure why im getting this. The ash pan was also not well seated. Correcting this made a huge difference in the flame. I will investigate the latch mechanism and see if it can be snugged up.

Biggest question is regarding feed rates and heat output. When the heat output is increased, the combustion blower ticks up, which in my mind suggests a hotter fire and quicker use of the fuel. Is it reasonable to say the feed rate should be increased at the same time the heat output selector is increased?

We had 2 consecutive night in the mid 20s with day time temps mids 30s -45 and the stove maintained a very comfortable temp on heat setting 2 or 3, using less than a bag/day of fuel. Glass accumulated brown ash, some of which burned off with the increased heat setting.

Is is a reasonable statement to make that if it is burning efficiently the brown ash accumulation will be minimal and i should then strive for a feed rate/ air flow that produces minimal brown ash?

Stove is HRSW Davenport

One other question, as we had installer issues, is regarding the flue. He installed a 3" to 4" adapter at the exit from the stove, then a 4" to 6" t to 6 " vertical pipe, 6" 90° elbow thru the wall crock to a horizontal 4" termination. I cant figure out why he ran the 6 " pipe, unless it is double walled and the ID is actually 4". Any thoughts?