More outdoor wood storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Kuhn

Dec 29, 2017
Wisconsin
I was storing my cut wood for one year (3 cords is a year supply for me) in an outside covered area, then another two years in an un-ventilated garage closer to the house. I decided this year that I wanted more room in the garage, plus the wood would dry better with an extra year outside, so I built an additional storage area for three cords outside (picture). So now it will be two years outside, one year inside.

I had torn down a rusty deer fence and had a bunch of 10' 6x6 pressure treated posts, so I decided I'd recycle them into "book end" firewood supports. Cut each post into a 6' piece and 4' piece, the latter attached as the base and braced as shown. All the supports are floating on the ground, on well drained sandy soil. So far it seems the weight of the wood on the base is working nicely to keep the vertical parts from tipping. Originally was going to cover the wood with sheet metal sitting on top of each row, but decided what the heck I'll just make a decent roof to cover all three rows. Each row 16' long and 6' high is a cord, and the 6' height is a nice stack height as well as I don't bump my head. In the areas where the firewood is not resting on the 6x6's, it's stacked on some old 4x4's to keep it off the ground

I know it's kind of a different concept, but everything is screwed together, so if something goes wrong, easy to change.

In a couple of days I should have the rest split to finish filling out my 2021/2022 stack.

Filling the third row.jpg

Not the prettiest but effective.

I like it, & I may steal some of your design elements. I managed to score about forty 10' wide pallets in great shape for free.
I'm going to build something similar to store my wood.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I like it, & I may steal some of your design elements. I managed to score about forty 10' wide pallets in great shape for free.
I'm going to build something similar to store my wood.

Wow, forty 10' wide pallets would work great for creating a wood storage area! My storage area is now full, and no regrets so far. Let me know if you need any more details of what I did.

Wow, forty 10' wide pallets would work great for creating a wood storage area! My storage area is now full, and no regrets so far. Let me know if you need any more details of what I did.
Yeah, I sure will. I like how you split the roof to slope towards the sides and not the back. It's a nice design.
This is my first year burning, so I'm not sure how much storage I'll need. My plan is to have room for at least 4 cords under the roof.
30' wide by 8' deep, or 20' wide by 12' deep. I haven't decided yet.