More proof that no system or law makes something fool-proof.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdemaris

Oct 11, 2008
Central New York State
Just another local fire and we've had many this year. This one kind of tops most others. Related to using a pellet stove. From today's paper here in rural central New York.

A fire at a home in the West Laurens Fire District left a family of three homeless, Otsego County fire officials said.

The fire occurred at about 3:10 p.m. Friday at the home of George and Frances Knarich on Peterson Road, county officials said. The couple have a 20-year-old daughter, officials said.

George Knarich had taken out some pellets from a stove that morning in the wooden breezeway that connected the two RV units where the family lived, said Otsego County Emergency Service Coordinator Lyle "Butch" Jones.

A foundation for a more permanent house was completed at the location, but work had stopped for the season, he said.

Thinking the pellets were extinguished, he put them in a plastic bag on a carpet nearby, Jones said. Several hours later, his wife saw smoke coming from that spot, Jones said.

Knarich tried unsuccessfully to extinguish the fire before calling 911, Jones said.

The American Red Cross was providing shelter and clothing to the family, Jones said. There was no insurance, he said.

The department received mutual aid from Laurens, Mount Vision and West Oneonta.

Attachments

• fire Feb.jpg
    fire Feb.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 543
What system or laws were involved here?

The law of nonchalant human carelessness. When I've got a bucket of ashes/embers from one of my stoves, I am aware of the fact that the welfare of me and my wife and the safety of our home hinges on just how I decide what the disposition of that package is to be. Rick

Maybe they needed the insurance money to complete the new home on the new foundation that is waiting for it.

Reactions: AGPNY
BrotherBart said:
Darwin's law of natural selection? Didn't work this time.

It just doesn't matter how well engineered & manufacured idiot-proof products are.
Humans will ALWAYS manage to come up with a BETTER grade of idiot...
Darwin award nominee?

Hogwildz said:
Maybe they needed the insurance money to complete the new home on the new foundation that is waiting for it.

That ain't happenin', Hogster...read the penultimate sentence in the article. Rick

The jury award against the trash bag and carpet companies will be huge.

BrotherBart said:
The jury award against the trash bag and carpet companies will be huge.

No law against stupidity, though................

fossil said:
Hogwildz said:

That ain't happenin', Hogster...read the penultimate sentence in the article. Rick

Sorry I don't know what such big words mean, and I am too lazy to look it up ;)

Hogwildz said:
fossil said:
Hogwildz said:

Next to last.

fossil said:
Hogwildz said:
fossil said:
Hogwildz said:

Next to last.

Of or relating to a penult.

Ok, now next to last I understand. I read it, but it must not have computed.
Still a lil foggy from the cold I am battling.
Thanks to you and Bart, I now have learned two new words, but alas...... I will have forgotten them by tonight. ;)

BrotherBart said:

That's pretty simple. Heating system via a pellet stove. If they weren't using a pellet stove, they wouldn't have had hot pellets to leave on the floor.

In regard to laws - how about a general reference to any that might exist within our code department. I'm assuming that altough there are plenty for the stove placement and chimeny installation, I doubt there are any about "hot pellet removal" or "storage."

jdemaris said:
BrotherBart said:

That's pretty simple. Heating system via a pellet stove. If they weren't using a pellet stove, they wouldn't have had hot pellets to leave on the floor.

In regard to laws - how about a general reference to any that might exist within our code department. I'm assuming that altough there are plenty for the stove placement and chimeny installation, I doubt there are any about "hot pellet removal" or "storage."

First they need the law against starting the stove with gasoline or just go right to the law that requires an IQ test to be able to live.

kenny chaos said:
...or just go right to the law that requires an IQ test to be able to live.
Let them live but not procreate. A more humane version of Darwin’s law of natural selection.

I doubt there are any about “hot pellet removal” or “storage.”

Probably not, they figure most people are smart enough not to put them in a combustible bag on a combustible carpet.
They'd be wrong

So it sounds like they were living in 2 RVs with a breezeway built between them?? Is there even a code for installing one in an RV?

Status
Not open for further replies.