More questions on setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOutdoors

May 12, 2008
Lempster, NH
My wife laughs at me because I've become addicted to this site. I'm going to a local board of health meeting tonight on OWB. After all my research, you people have convinced me to seriously consider the indoor Gassifier. I would go with the EKO, but I have a few problems that need to be answered.
1. I do not have enough room next to my current oil boiler to add the EKO
2. I only have a 2 flu chimney...1 for current boiler, other for wood stove
3. I see it's almost a must to have a storage tank, especially if I want to heat my hot water during the summer months
4. Can you use these to heat water during summer months?
5. I will have to store the boiler inside of the barn I'm building 150 ft away
6. Worried about possible freezing
7. Can I place the storage vessel in the outside barn as well?
In a perfect world:
I have a drive under 2 car garage. One of the walls seperates my current boiler room. If it was legal, I could then put the EKO and storage tank in the garage, have plenty of space for wood and vent thru the wall into the existing boiler flu. Could that be done...legally?

I'm thinking you won't need the woodstove if you put in an EKO.

Yes, you can heat your domestic hot water in the warmer months, but you need a tank for that.

You can put both the boiler and the tank in the barn in a well-insulated space.

I wouldn't worry too much about freezing. Insulation and flow should provide enough protection.

If you convert your garage into a boiler room, then it's legal. You'll have to render it inaccessible to vehicles. How about putting the boiler, tank and wood in the garage and park the cars in the barn?

I thought about closing off 1 bay into the garage, but resale value would go down. I think my best solution will be to close off a certain portion of the barn and insulate it well. I worried about loss of electricity and freezing. The cost of the system is slowly climbing! Boiler,storage, now pex pipe. Now I need to understand the plumbing a little better. I've been researching storage tanks as I'd rather buy a LP tank and retrofit it, but i need to understand the plumbing. Any diagrams specific to storage?

If it was me, I'd think about replacing the oil boiler with one of those little wall-hanging on-demand units and seeing if that would free up space in the existing boiler room. You'd like the storage to be close to the point of use - heat zones and especially hot water.

Status
Not open for further replies.