Morso 2b standard alcove installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eide

Nov 22, 2020
Snohomish WA
About a year ago I purchased a new Morso 2b standard from a local fire place shop for a really good deal with the intent of installing the stove on a later date. I am now at this later date but have run into an issue I am hoping can be answered here.

I want to install this stove in an alcove, but after talking with another fireplace shop I was told the Morso 2b does not have dimensions listed in the manual for top of stove to ceiling requirement, which he told me in his experience means it cannot, by code be installed in an alcove.

If this is the case I will most likely be in the market for a new stove or might have to settle for a zero clearance insert. My wife and I really like the look of the alcove installation and the little Morso 2b. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I should note our 'fireplace' is just an open chase with a brick face on the interior. Previous owner had a zero clearance pellet stove at one point but decided to gut it and turn it into shelving.

The clearances should be specified on the label on the back of the stove. Or in the pamphlet that comes with the stove (which you can get on the Morso website if you don't have it).

Unfortunately, the US manual for the stove left out ceiling clearances and not much info on fireplace installation either. It's as if the documentation writer and illustrator didn't do a follow-up to check for continuity. I checked the Danish manual for the stove but that was no help either. It is even more minimal. Does the UL plate on the rear of the stove show ceiling or fireplace mantel clearances? If not, this stove may not work out unless the construction of the surrounding chase is made non-combustible.

Reactions: SpaceBus