Morso 2b standard question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. This is very helpful. However if I'm reading this correctly I still need 16" clearance to combustibles on both sides of the stove, which I don't have. I believe that what you are referencing is actually the width for the floor protector. And you are correct about the 34" width for the hearth or floor protector.

I don't know of any stove that would allow me to get away without heat shields. And since I need 12" to the combustible surface, even with the heat shields it means that I'm limited to a stove that is about 13" or 14" wide and there aren't many to choose from. But I'm fine with this style of stove. I can't get plenty of heat out of it and I like the North/South loading. What I don't like is the short burn times though.

You are perfectly right, I looked at the wrong diagram. The 6" I remembered was for the rear clearance. However, I think the minimum 12" clearance with heat shield you mentioned only applies to unlisted stoves. When it is a listed one with tested clearances it depends on the heat shield by how much (33%, 50%, or 66%) you can reduce the clearance. Looking at the Napoleon 1400 that has only 10" side clearance and is 25" wide: If the heat shield allows a 50% reduction you need only 5" on each side which would make ~35" total. Maybe someone who knows the NFPA 211 by heart can chime in and/or ask your local building inspector.

When you want longer burn times I am wondering whether you can fit a catalytic Blazeking Chinook 20 in there. Width is 24" and side clearance is 10.75" unshielded. When you really have 38" it should work and the burn times will be much better.

One last thought: I am wondering whether that would be considered an alcove install since the stove is closed in from both sides. If that is the case it may be a totally different ballgame.

Last edited:
24" + 10.75" + 10.75" = 45.5"

The 14" wide Jotul 118 would fit and provide longer burn times. I have heard mixed reviews on the secondary rack on this stove. It used to be prone to warping. Not sure if that has been updated with a fix. I would check to see if Jotul has made any changes to correct this problem if interested.

24" + 10.75" + 10.75" = 45.5"

Would heat shields not reduce those clearances by 50% to 66%? Hence, 24" + 5" + 5" = ~34"? That's at least how I understood the clearance requirements with heat shields but I am happy to learn something new.

Can't reduce below 12" unless the mfg. has tested and posted the reduction in the stove documentation.

Can't reduce below 12" unless the mfg. has tested and posted the reduction in the stove documentation.

So if the stove manual already says 10.75" but does not mention wall shields then that's the minimum even when you put some in?

Yes, that is the way I understand it unless the manual specifically states greater reductions are possible. Some do. When doubt check with their tech support.

Status
Not open for further replies.