Morso 3610 Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
We had our first really hot fire the other night...I need to get myself a decent thermometer I think. A fair bit of smokiness coming off the seams and the paint curing off the new stove, had to bank it down and let it smoulder...I was pleased with how efficiently it ran on just a few splits that were way under-length for the firebox. Got a couple questions for the other 3660 owners.

- I have two removable handles (one for each door). One has a spring on it and the other does not...but neither one seems to want to permanently attach itself to the door, which makes it difficult (for me anyway) to open and shut the doors safely. I use the side door exclusively and I had to keep using the mitt to open it since you can't really pull the door open with the handle. Then when its open the handle just falls out of the socket so I have to pick it up and fumble with trying to get it into the square opening and figure out how to orient it so the spindle closes properly so I can close the door. This is both with and without the spring on the handle. I can understand that maybe its best to not have the handle on there so it doesn't get too hot to touch, but I feel like I'm missing something here...is there a trick to it or just something I'll get used to?
- Do you guys have alot of buildup on the glass in the front of the stove? Its supposed to be an airwash system that keeps the glass at least reasonably clear, but the outer 1/3 of each door's glass has a nice coat of crap on it after just a few hours burning. Is this just the way it is or am I missing something?

Good stove though, took a bit to build up some heat, but when it got going it raised the temperature in my great room (28x26x26 roughly) about 20 degrees. Downstairs downt he hallway didn't get much heat and the master bedroom whose doorway is directy off the loft above the stove didn't get as much heat in there as I was hoping, but a small fan will probably help considerably...there was a good 10-12 degree heat wall when you walked through the MBR doorway. This is the first woodburning appliance in our new house (built it in 2003) so I have to figure out the airflow patterns now.

Does anyone use those heat-powered fans? Are they worth the expense? I'm trying to think of a reliable (and above all quiet) way to move some air through the MBR doorway on its way up to the ceiling, which rises about 8 feet or so above the top of the doorway...I could put a grate into the wall I suppose, but I'd rather not cut holes in there.

I still haven't quite finsihed off the hearthpad install, but its all trim stuff now and I got lazy. I'll try to finish it this week since my family dinner is next Sunday at my house.

Thanks for listening, I feel better.

It will take a little practice until you find the sweet spot for the stove. Usually when it's burning hot (600 stove top temp) the glass self cleans. Yes, pick up a decent stove top thermometer. It really helps you learn how the stove is working.

As to heat circulation, is there a ceiling fan? If yes, run it in reverse, blowing upward. that can help circulation and will reduce heat stratification at the ceiling. For the other rooms, before deciding on any permanent change, take a medium table fan or a small box fan and put it in the colder area and blow towards the heated area with the wood stove. Experiment a bit and you will hopefully find a good improvement. Then it's a matter of figuring how to make it a more permanent circulation solution.

You will probably get more used to the handles with practice, but there may be another solution... Look into the sockets where the handles go, many of them have threads at the bottom, in which case it is possible to make permanent handles (in minor violation of codes since the stove isn't tested with them...) Just find a long bolt with the right thread, and make a handle of some sort that is heat resistant, and preferably something that won't get too hot. Some folks use a loosely wound coil spring to make a handle like you will see on a welders chipping hammer.

Gooserider

With regard toyour dirty glass, if you damped it down for a long period it will most likely soot up some, a hot fire should burn it off, all do the dollar bill test on the door gasket to make sure its not leaking. That leaking air creates soot on the glass.

Take the spring off the handle, problem solved. I took our handle spring off after three days and havent seen it since ;)

The glass will dirty up a bit on the edges when you bank it way down but a hot fire will clean it right up.

You need to try and move the cooler air from the other rooms to the warm area where the stove is, I learned that tip here and the house heats much better. What is your floor plan like?

When you install the handle just torque it to the side a little and you can pull the doors open without the mitt. But when I side load I use the mitt, makes it safer and easier to shove the wood around. If I damper mine down real low, the glass is brown in the morning. But a hot fire cures that. Make sure your wood is real dry, that helps also.

Status
Not open for further replies.