Morso 7110B - Heat Shield - Fireplace Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

philawoodco

Sep 23, 2023
Philadelphia
I just had a Morso 7110B installed in an open fireplace. It was unclear to me exactly what the clearance requirements would be in my situation since the stove is almost entirely inside the masonry firebox. The bottom of the mantel shelf and the thickness of the bottom surround are pretty hot and I'm running the stove gently just to test it out.

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on whether I need a heat shield or other thoughts on this install in general.

IMG_0210.jpeg IMG_0203.jpeg IMG_0204.jpeg IMG_0209.jpeg IMG_0208.jpeg IMG_0207.jpeg IMG_0205.jpeg

Nice looking install! If it were me I’d probably install a metal heat shield right under that brick. Is there a metal lintle under there? You could screw some thin sheet metal to it sticking out as needed?

Is there a block off plate above the stove where the liner goes through?

Does the stove have a blower? If not a little trick to push more heat out of there would be to place a small muffin fan on the floor under the front of the stove blowing in will push the hot air up and out.

Thanks Todd!

I was thinking of a heat shield right under the brick to deflect hot air out and around the mantle... There is a steel lintel. I could tap into that or maybe put some threaded inserts into the brick to attach a shield.

There is no block off plate. There is rock wool insulation stuffed in around the liner and old damper frame. If that doesn't work well enough (which I think it will) then I will add a block off plate.

There is no blower. Interesting trick with the fan. I've been thinking about a way to stick a fan at the top rear of the firebox to force air out.

Reactions: Todd
Definitely install a heat shield. I second putting it right under the brick if you can. I put one underneath my mantle, which is 28" from the top of the stove, and it made a big difference. Maybe get some tapcon screws and put a piece of 2" angle on the face of the brick just at the opening of the fireplace?

How is this setup working out? I’m considering the same stove for the exact same situation.

It has worked out pretty well. I have JUST enough room to sneak a small fan on top:

Amazon product ASIN B01B0M8MHY
I actually have 4 of these things in there and you can't even see them because they're so far in shadow. It pushes enough heat out and away from the mantle that I feel OK without a heat shield.

The stove is small and, being installed almost entirely inside a firebox, it doesn't put out a ton of heat into the room. Don't expect it to heat your house but it does add a nice, noticeable, boost and I like the aesthetic.

IMG_0442.jpeg IMG_0445.jpeg IMG_0444.jpeg

Thanks. I’m hoping to offset our propane usage this year but I can’t find many other stoves larger that the 7110 that will fit my fireplace. I considered a Hearthstone Green Mountain 40 but there were enough comments about draft issues and the need for perfectly seasoned wood (not sure I want to have to be that diligent) that I think I’ve decided against it. The Morsoe looks great in there!

I have found this stove to draw air very well. If anything I have found that I wish I could get the stove to draw less air, but I am also burning a lot of kiln dried hardwood.

It has worked out pretty well. I have JUST enough room to sneak a small fan on top:

Amazon product ASIN B01B0M8MHY
I actually have 4 of these things in there and you can't even see them because they're so far in shadow. It pushes enough heat out and away from the mantle that I feel OK without a heat shield.

The stove is small and, being installed almost entirely inside a firebox, it doesn't put out a ton of heat into the room. Don't expect it to heat your house but it does add a nice, noticeable, boost and I like the aesthetic.

View attachment 317890 View attachment 317891 View attachment 317892
Those fans don’t move much air. I have the 12” version of this and it’s great. It sits on the floor behind the stove and blow up. Air hits the block off plate on my stove and is directed across the top.
AC Infinity AIRBLAZE T10, Universal Fireplace Blower Fan Kit 10" with Temperature and Speed Controller, Compatible with Lennox, Hearth Glo, Majestic, Rotom Fireplaces, for Home Heat Circulation https://a.co/d/4XRyQKZ

I don’t have blockoff play in my insert and I stuffed rock wool up there. I’m getting enough stuff falling down that I want to get a real block off plate.

EbS-P - that does look like a better solution for moving air. I also do not have a block off plate, just rock wool stuffed into the damper frame around the pipe. That plus seeing the cord running across the floor are downsides but it would be nice to push even more air.

EbS-P - that does look like a better solution for moving air. I also do not have a block off plate, just rock wool stuffed into the damper frame around the pipe. That plus seeing the cord running across the floor are downsides but it would be nice to push even more air.
I don’t like the cord either but I have the thermometer wire too and two thermometer readouts. And to be honest it only get used about half the time. But when you push a radiant stove deep set like ours (because they are small this happens more often) a lot of the heat stays near the stove. I try to heat 1958 sq ft with 1.7 cu ft cast iron stove. It really needs the convective help.

I have found this stove to draw air very well. If anything I have found that I wish I could get the stove to draw less air, but I am also burning a lot of kiln dried hardwood.
I have the same question. It's our second year with this stove, and wood is much drier this year. It's drawing too much air even with the air control stopped to its lowest. Any ideas on how to mitigate this?