Most reliable pellet stove. Price is an issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Growing On

Oct 30, 2020
Utah
The main purpose of this question is to find a brand that is reliable and isn't prone to failing, shutting off for no reason, overall cheap, etc...

We are a non profit that grows and provides fresh vegetables to those in need. We are using a pellet stove to heat our greenhouse. Obviously the stove can't give out or just be prone to shutting off otherwise we would lose our entire crop (its a big greenhouse). We can only spend at most $2000 and are looking for recommends (or stay away froms). For us we don't need the most fancy, we just need it to work.

Thanks in advance.

www.wholelottagrowingon.org

The most reliable pellet stove is Harman, and the cheapest model is double your $2000. Better to get a used Harman P43 than anything else.

Also, check out Craigslist. Harmans are easily replaceable. Does the unit turn on? Does the hopper door open? Is the seal in tact? Does the main door open? Does it still have the rope? Does it lock properly? When you turn it on, does the fan turn on and does the auger make noise?

If yes to above, then buy without worry. Get it installed and just have your tech bring it up to speed.

I've seen the P68 sell for $1.2K on CL. You won't see $1.2K for a P68 every day, but if you can wait for it, you'll be able to pick up lots of Harmans under $2K used. Do bear in mind, we are heading into Winter, so this is the worst time to buy used pellet stoves...

Be sure that you get a "P" series Harman,

I looked at your website. That's a big green house. You might consider a wood stove with a fan behind it. Free fuel, easy maintenance.

I picked up a Harman P61A for $200 this past summer as well as an Advance 2 for $75 but I check KIJJI/Craigslist daily

While my experience is limited in duration, we've been running PelPro PP130s in our shop and home for the past 5 weeks and are very happy.

Most importantly, they're bare-bones simple and everything is easily accessible. It's just two fans, two circuit boards, a couple of safety switches, the auger, and an ignitor, all of which can be reached with ample room.

If you've calculated you BTU load needs and a 40,000 BTU output will do it, I'd check out the PP130. At $1,000 through the home improvement stores, you could buy two, if needed.

And having two stoves would provide a backup in case one broke.

You should do some number crunching. Add up the cost of pellets (at least $5/bag, 2 bags/day) against the value of the crops. You might be better off buying the vegetables from the supermarket. This is why free fuel (wood) is a better alternative.

You should do some number crunching. Add up the cost of pellets (at least $5/bag, 2 bags/day) against the value of the crops. You might be better off buying the vegetables from the supermarket. This is why free fuel (wood) is a better alternative.

Another option during these times, run the #s on a freestanding propane stove. Propane is expensive in MD, but much cheaper, for whatever reason in PA.

Another relative heated a 1.8k sq ft-well-insulated home with one in winter. Propane stoves are usually much cheaper than pellets and a truck comes to re-fill your fuel. Propane stoves can be vent free, too.... Run a pipe from a tank to the stove and start heating.

Another option during these times, run the #s on a freestanding propane stove. Propane is expensive in MD, but much cheaper, for whatever reason in PA.

Another relative heated a 1.8k sq ft-well-insulated home with one in winter. Propane stoves are usually much cheaper than pellets and a truck comes to re-fill your fuel. Propane stoves can be vent free, too.... Run a pipe from a tank to the stove and start heating.
No gas appliances are vent free. Some are just room vented. I would absolutely never use or recommend using a room vented unit.

Reactions: Ssyko
i agree with a comet above a wood stove would be a better option. Cheaper to operate and can generate more heat than a pellet stove for a area that big. Not to mention the community would probably be more than willing to donate the wood and possibly a old stove since its all going for a good cause... A old wood furnace would be ideal as you could fill it full enough to last just about a entire day

Just wondering with a wood stove who is going to get
up get dressed go to the greenhouse and load the stove at 2 am
that's why they want a pellet stove. new dependable stoves under 2 grand
Big Box store basic stove work well easy to clean Dourlet , Hudson river,
US stove, comfort built, pelpro and others

Reactions: Ssyko
No gas appliances are vent free. Some are just room vented. I would absolutely never use or recommend using a room vented unit.

Yep (i.e., when price is a factor, you do not have to buy vent pipe). Carbon detectors never went off at relative's house, period.

It's a non profit so if they can save a few $$ in exchange for some labour split amongst a few volunteers... you pack a wood stove properly and tight it's still hot in the morning. I used to use a camping wood stove in my old non insulated shop. I would pack it tight when I left at 6 and 8 in the morning it was still warm and enough left in it to keep it going. This was far from a airtight stove

Yep (i.e., when price is a factor, you do not have to buy vent pipe). Carbon detectors never went off at relative's house, period.
Carbon monoxide is only one of the many things to be concerned about

Reactions: moresnow
As ridiculous as saying you would not trust ventless propane stoves ...
Not in the least. Have you ever read all of the warnings on ventless units about only using them with windows cracked or only for short periods of time? Of course you haven't or you would know even the manufacturers don't trust them to be used as actual heaters

Not in the least. Have you ever read all of the warnings on ventless units about only using them with windows cracked or only for short periods of time? Of course you haven't or you would know even the manufacturers don't trust them to be used as actual heaters

Yes, yes, I have. Have you read what some say about wifi, 4g, and 5g?

Why are you answering your own questions? Trolling for bass, huh?

Yes, yes, I have. Have you read what some say about wifi, 4g, and 5g?

Why are you answering your own questions? Trolling for bass, huh?
No trying to give people advice that will help.kerp them safe when it comes to their heating system. The difference between room vented gas heaters and the "concerns" about wifi. Is one of them is based in fact and backed up by the manufacturers warnings. And the other is based on unsubstantiated paranoia

I think it would be foolish to run a ventless fossil fuel burner in a home. Now, in a greenhouse all of that extra humidity and oxygen depletion might be a good thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
I think it would be foolish to run a ventless fossil fuel burner in a home. Now, in a greenhouse all of that extra humidity and oxygen depletion might be a good thing.
That is a good point. It could potentially be beneficial.

Did you pencil out fuel prices? Would the cost of propane/natural gas/electricity be cheaper? Is there a ready supply of pellets/corn ect in the area? As a non profit and If there is a lot of farming close by you might find a farmer looking for a tax deduction and get some low grade corn free. Initial cost is not what will kill you, it is the cost of fuel that determines the long term cost.

As you know it is important to be reliable, having a back up heat source would be very important. Preferably one that does not require Electricity. Might consider a wood stove as a primary/back up.

Almost every stove out there is reliable if it is maintained. I would check your local classifieds (Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist ect) and look for a stove in good shape and then do a search here or on the web for problems.