Most reliable pellet stove. Price is an issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Be sure that you get a "P" series Harman,

I looked at your website. That's a big green house. You might consider a wood stove with a fan behind it. Free fuel, easy maintenance.

We are only doing half this year. I wouldn't mind a wood stove but the constant putting logs in especially as night I don't want to deal with. We were going to have a fan behind whatever it is we use.

I would be looking at direct vent gas heaters if it were me. They take very little maintenance. No work loading fuel. And usually pretty similar fuel costs if not less compared to pellets. We switched from pellets to gas in the wood shop and have gas in the chimney business shop.

I think it would be foolish to run a ventless fossil fuel burner in a home. Now, in a greenhouse all of that extra humidity and oxygen depletion might be a good thing.

Your point may be valid thirty years ago, but not in 2020...

Millions of perfectly safe-ventless systems in use around this great world of ours right now....

I'm with Highbeam on it. Ventless means the byproducts of combustion, combustion gases and water are manufactured. I realize the combustion gas part is monitored by the O2 sensor on the unit (as per federal regulation) but the O2 part isn't and in modern well sealed home, the O2 (humidity) levels can get excessive with very detrimental results like mold, mildew and building component rot and health hazards can also be a real danger.

Reactions: bholler

Millions of perfectly safe-ventless systems in use around this great world of ours right now....

Don’t fall for the marketing. They’ve been making the same claims all along “you’ll probably survive, but you’d better crack a window” and you’ll be covered in mold, with reduced oxygen and increased CO exposure plus this stink.

I'm with Highbeam on it. Ventless means the byproducts of combustion, combustion gases and water are manufactured. I realize the combustion gas part is monitored by the O2 sensor on the unit (as per federal regulation) but the O2 part isn't and in modern well sealed home, the O2 (humidity) levels can get excessive with very detrimental results like mold, mildew and building component rot and health hazards can also be a real danger.

OP said greenhouse, so off gases is OBE.

Homes in the mid Atlantic require dehumidifiers. Keep an eye on RH and all is well.

Don’t fall for the marketing. They’ve been making the same claims all along “you’ll probably survive, but you’d better crack a window” and you’ll be covered in mold, with reduced oxygen and increased CO exposure plus this stink.
I was trying not to be that blunt............ You know, 'forum decorum'.... :)

Reactions: bholler

How do you know they are all perfectly safe? Do you test air quality in all of those homes?

I agree they are not going to kill you right away. But they severely compromise air quality in the home. That is why manufacturers limit burn times and require ventilation in their instructions. Why would you purposely install a product known to hurt home air quality that much when there are options that don't do that?

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I will say as a matter of experience, a goof friend has one (small one) in his tack and feed room and candidly, I cannot go in there. One, it's like a rain forest in there and two, I cannot stand the smell. Remember, all propane and NG has an odorant in it and a certain amount of that stink don't get burned so it's in the air around the appliance. Why I will not BBQ on a propane grill, only chunk charcoal. That smell makes me want to gag. Don't need no methyl mercaptan flavored steaks.

Part of that is because one of the guys I hunt with is also my propane supplier and his whole shop stinks too. He fuels his pickup with propane, when we go on hunts, I drive....lol

How do you know they are all perfectly safe? Do you test air quality in all of those homes?

I agree they are not going to kill you right away. But they severely compromise air quality in the home. That is why manufacturers limit burn times and require ventilation in their instructions. Why would you purposely install a product known to hurt home air quality that much when there are options that don't do that?
Cheap maybe?

I will say as a matter of experience, a goof friend has one (small one) in his tack and feed room and candidly, I cannot go in there. One, it's like a rain forest in there and two, I cannot stand the smell. Remember, all propane and NG has an odorant in it and a certain amount of that stink don't get burned so it's in the air around the appliance. Why I will not BBQ on a propane grill, only chunk charcoal. That smell makes me want to gag. Don't need no methyl mercaptan flavored steaks.

Part of that is because one of the guys I hunt with is also my propane supplier and his whole shop stinks too. He fuels his pickup with propane, when we go on hunts, I drive....lol

So, install a vent...

Never said ALL are safe, just like you nor anyone else can say ALL are unsafe.

If you are REALLY concerned, then get a vented unit.

Does not take MacGyver to install AND operate a propane heater cheaper than a pellet stove.

I run a $6K Harman, BTW.

Never said ALL are safe, just like you nor anyone else can say ALL are unsafe.

If you are REALLY concerned, then get a vented unit.

Does not take MacGyver to install AND operate a propane heater cheaper than a pellet stove.

I run a $6K Harman, BTW.
I can tell you that every one hurts interior air quality. Does that make them unsafe? I don't know but it isn't good for you.

We got rid of our shop pellet stove for that reason. It cost more to run and took way more work. No upside to the pellet stove.

I can tell you that every one hurts interior air quality. Does that make them unsafe? I don't know but it isn't good for you.

We got rid of our shop pellet stove for that reason. It cost more to run and took way more work. No upside to the pellet stove.

Sounds to me, you used the wrong propane burner...

Vented
Unvented
1. All exhaust fumes (including odors and moisture) are taken out of the home.1. Unvented fireplaces burn very clean but not perfect, much like a kerosene heater. Measurable levels of carbon monoxide and other chemicals such as nitrogen dioxide (an irritant to eyes, nose and throat) vent into the home. Some people are more sensitive to this than others. Odor is usually noticeable by those with a strong sense of smell.

Sounds to me, you used the wrong propane burner...

Vented
Unvented
1. All exhaust fumes (including odors and moisture) are taken out of the home.1. Unvented fireplaces burn very clean but not perfect, much like a kerosene heater. Measurable levels of carbon monoxide and other chemicals such as nitrogen dioxide (an irritant to eyes, nose and throat) vent into the home. Some people are more sensitive to this than others. Odor is usually noticeable by those with a strong sense of smell.
What do you mean I used the wrong propane burner? I certainly didn't install ventless appliances.

What you posted backs up what I have been saying all along

What do you mean I used the wrong propane burner? I certainly didn't install ventless appliances.

What you posted backs up what I have been saying all along

Ventless does not bother some people.

If ventless bothers you, vent it.

OP said need heat cheap. Price per BTU is a no-brainier with pellets versus propane.

Ventless does not bother some people.

If ventless bothers you, vent it.

OP said need heat cheap. Price per BTU is a no-brainier with pellets versus propane.
Just because it doesn't bother you does not mean it isn't hurting your health. I could never recommend a room vented appliance to anyone. There are just to many downsides.

Reactions: Ssyko
Do you not

Do you not use a cellphone or live near power lines?
Yes and yes. But there is really no hard evidence that either of then are harmful to your health.

CO nitrogen dioxide reduced O2 levels and high moisture on the other hand.

Reactions: Ssyko
The funny thing is many of the large commercial greenhouses have natural gas generators to generate the power for lighting and run the exhaust pipes into the greenhouse to raise the level of CO2. They usually have CO catalysts on the engines t deal with any CO but most engines burn quite clean.

The funny thing is many of the large commercial greenhouses have natural gas generators to generate the power for lighting and run the exhaust pipes into the greenhouse to raise the level of CO2. They usually have CO catalysts on the engines t deal with any CO but most engines burn quite clean.
Yes in a greenhouse increased levels of CO2 and humidity would be beneficial. CO and NO2 not do much