Mounting washer probe for Auber AT200 on insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bwalters199

Nov 1, 2019
Rochester, NY
I just ordered the Auber AT200 thermometer with the washer probe and I was curious where you guys recommend mounting the washer probe on my steel liner? The liner is attached to a Regency i2400 insert and was thinking of possibly mounting the probe via one of the flue mounting bracket screws (picture attached). Or would it be preferred the zip a new screw in somewhere else in the appliance adapter that is attached to the steel liner? Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 10.11.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 10.11.06 AM.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 125
I am also curious about this if anyone has some knowledge to share.

I was also thinking about getting the magnetic probe model TC-K-MAG

I see it is only rate to 750 F (vs 1650 F for the washer type). Would the top of the insert get hotter than 750 F? This is my first stove.

No advice on where but some thoughts.

I ordered the washer probe with mine and ended up just resting it under a piece of metal scrap on the top of my stove. I never really liked it there. I am considering the magnet probe. I think I have broken conductor and need to fix or replace it the probe.

I wedged the washer between the cast iron outlet and the appliance connector and found it read about 100 degrees lower than the stovetop. In a perfect world you would set the alarm temp at 650 and the magnet would never get over 750. In practice the max temp recorded by my at200 is 729F.

I think the best answer might be a flue probe. I’m hesitant to go this route as I will forget to pull it when sweeping I’m sure. I’m not sure I could even get 18” up my pre insulated liner with a drill.

Cant say enough good things about the AT200. Highly recommend. Now I need to go dig mine out and fix it and plug it in.

evan

Thanks, Evan. That is very helpful.

I'm also not going to do a flue probe, for the same two reasons you just mentioned.

You can tuck it under the band clamp on the appliance adapter before tightening.

Reactions: EbS-P
This will be my first year with the magnet probe. Excited to see how it performs.

Do you suppose the 750 limit is simply the temperature at which the magnet loses its stick? I bet the thermocouple is capable of much higher temperatures.

Do you suppose the 750 limit is simply the temperature at which the magnet loses its stick? I bet the thermocouple is capable of much higher temperatures.
I think so.

The magnet, upper left hand corner on the front face
Gotcha. I was thinking about mounting the magnet on the top, near the flue, then discreetly route the probe wire behind the surround plate.

I was wondering the same thing. I suppose its possible that the magnet would start to irreversibly lose its pull at that temp, but would not completely lose it until a higher temp. But I don't know much about high heat magnets.

I mounted mine underneath the draft bolt on top of the fire box.