Movable rack with cover?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CTwith3

Jul 9, 2014
Westchester County, NY
Hi guys.
I have about 8 cords of wood, and I need to start splitting, moving and stacking.
For the first/last 3 years of my burning I have thrown some timbers on the ground right behind my house near the back door and stacked 2 to 3 cords to start my burning season, but I'm tired of playing the tarp game with all my wood. My kids go get the wood and they run out and cover it before the rain and snow and uncover it to keep the drawing when it's not raining and snowing, that means damage to the tarps and having to buy new ones every year. I burn 24/7 as I have stated in the past in my other posts. Of course, to make this more difficult, I need to do this as cheaply as possible. Since they haven't invented the force field yet, and I haven't won the lottery, I need some ideas. Right now I have a bunch of cinderblock and pressure treated wood racks setup, and I need to replace those with something better with roofs as well- so that's where the rest of my money is going and why I need to do it cheaply.

I built a small shed basically for that purpose. It sits by the driveway and holds up to about 1/2 cord. It keeps everything really dry and gets a lot of sun. I only have about 2 cords right now so I won't have to refill it much.

I was also thinking about other options to hold more wood. How about one of those instant canopies? I see a 12x12 one for $50 at walmart: Ozark Trail 12'x12' Slant Leg Canopy. You could throw some pallets underneath and it should stay pretty dry. You could look for a used one as well.
That should hold about 3 cords...