moving a heavy insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDerrick

Hearth Supporter
Mar 30, 2009
Columbia, Missouri
well I'm looking at some used inserts. What's the best way to move and transport a 450 lb. insert, pick-up truck? How do you lift it to the truck bed? How do you get it into your house? thanks.

A low trailer helps a lot. Fortunately I had some help getting it onto the trailer. Once home, I was able to unload it myself right onto a furniture dolly. When we installed, with help from 2 other guys, we shoved it indoors (still on the dolly) right to the hearth. Then we uncrated the stove and set it on the hearth.

We hear of others using 2 wheeled carts but I doubt you could find anything better than a piano or furniture dolly. You can buy a good one for less than $20.00

Good luck.

I used a dolly to bring my englander 30 in the house. My 12 year old helped only 2 small steps into front door. 450 pounds and alot of hot nights priceless.

Moving a six hundred and fifty pound insert out by myself.

Moving a 450 30-NC in buy myself.

Moving that 30-NC back out by myself.

Moving the replacement 30-NC in by myself.

Owning a pallet jack. Priceless.

Thank you everyone who responded, very helpful ideas. I was so inspired I built myself a 4 wheeled dolly out of 2 x 4"s and 5" casters. Then I was able to move my old insert (an old slammer) out of the fireplace real easy :)

Attachments

• P10100 resized.jpg
    P10100 resized.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 253
  • P1010005resized.jpg
    P1010005resized.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 197
Good job well done. Congratulations.

Yep, I always find a way. A good friend and beer help too ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.