Moving A Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keys

Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2008
Lawrenceburg, KY
This sounds like it should be really simple, but what are the best ways to move stoves for cleaning, etc. My freestanding Enviro sits on tile with hardwood floor surrounding the tile. I don't want to scratch the tile or the hardwood. Just looking for suggestions... thanks

Don't know how far you need to move it, but do like movers do. That is, slide a cardboard box under its feed and use the box to move it.

I would really like to move it out to my workshop to do the summer maintanence on it. This would involve going down some steps.
I think I need to take measurements of the underside of the stove and build some sort of pallet that a two wheel dolly could handle.

Keys said:
I would really like to move it out to my workshop to do the summer maintanence on it. This would involve going down some steps.
I think I need to take measurements of the underside of the stove and build some sort of pallet that a two wheel dolly could handle.

Won't an appliance moving dolly work?

Usually I get a couple of friends and some beer together. We carry it out for cleaning, drink some beer, carry it back in, reattach, and then drink the rest of the beer.

Keys said:
Rap69ri, now that sounds like a good idea.... I think they owe me a favor anyway.

Even if they don't owe you, free beer ususally does the trick ;-)

Get a hand truck that will handle the weight of your stove. Put the hand truck under the stove and see what kind of wood spacer block needs to be put together in order to deal with the leg height and heat shied if you stove has one. I have moved a lot of wood stoves using this method. You can make spacer blocks in 2 pieces in order to deal with stuff under the stove. When it comes time for the actual move I get some adjustable truck/motorcycle straps and make sure the bottom portion of the stove is secured to the hand truck. I also secure the top of the stove as well. You can use cardboard or towels to protect the stove from scratches from the hand truck and tie down straps. This method works very well on stairs also. Make sure you have some good help.

Dqavid

you could use an engine lifter..

My St Croix doesn't have legs so I use 3' sections of wooden dowels and simply roll the stove back and forth. I've used this technique to move metalworking machinery weighing thousands of pounds... albeit with steel pipe instead of the dowels.

If the stove has legs just slide a pice of plywood under the stove and slide the dowels under the plywwod.

Please remember the more friends you invite the less work YOU will need to do. Do not be cheap and skimp on the beer. No one likes to come over to help and have to do the beer run.

Eric

Why not just lift the stove and carry it out??? sounds real simple don't it?. Get a few friends and have at it, Get it all cleaned out then call friends and put it back in place... Better yet have the wife get some of her friends and let them move it outside, now thats entertainment..

Status
Not open for further replies.