Moving air from the stove in a basement to the main level. Using 6-inch duct. Can you advise on an in-line fan or other options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
So far I found a couple of in-line fans online. Wondering if they will be powerful enough to move the air for about 15 feet with on 90-degree elbow. Using 6-inch duct.
Amazon product ASIN B01L0D0UEQ

I am using this one.
Amazon product ASIN B01M2XG0E1
It's within a foot of the register in the floor, and I do not like how silent it is.

I use it with this one
Amazon product ASIN B0714FFG4F
at lowest setting, which is enough. (And a WiFi plug so I can switch it on and off from my phone.)

If I were you, I'd put the fan on the far end of the room where you want it to remain quiet. I'm going to change the set up here, hoping that some length of duct will dampen the sound a bit. Warmth is nice, but noise is not when I read a book in the evening...

I am using this one.
Amazon product ASIN B01M2XG0E1
It's within a foot of the register in the floor, and I do not like how silent it is.

I use it with this one
Amazon product ASIN B0714FFG4F
at lowest setting, which is enough. (And a WiFi plug so I can switch it on and off from my phone.)

If I were you, I'd put the fan on the far end of the room where you want it to remain quiet. I'm going to change the set up here, hoping that some length of duct will dampen the sound a bit. Warmth is nice, but noise is not when I read a book in the evening...
Can you feel hot air coming? does it move air? How long is your duct?

Can you feel hot air coming? does it move air? How long is your duct?

Yes, I have seen 95 F air coming out (thermometer laying on the register that I put in). I just let the stove go out, so this is natural convection 75 F now.

My duct is only 2 ft long. But I plan on making it longer to 15 ft or so, out the fan at that far end, and reverse directions. Now hot air comes out here, sucked from near the ceiling of the basement.

Then I will suck cold air from the floor, and blow it on to the floor of the basement where the stove is, pushing warm air up the stairs into the main floor.

People here say it works better to move cold air. And I hope to then have more noise in the basement and less on the main floor with the fan farther away and blowing away from the main floor.

16124663198104568263433019976257.jpg

I do have some (10" or so) of flexible (metal) duct in between.

I'm not sure if non-metal (combustible) flexible duct is allowed...

Comair Rotron 032237, 110 vac, about 50 watts, 550 cfm, 10" muffin fan. This thing probably ran 24/7 for 15 years exhausting heat out of an old electronic cabinet at my work + I've been using it for another 10 years. It still runs quiet, just enough hum to lull you to sleep.

1994 "Energy King" 2150 stove, 3.1 cuft fire box with secondary burn, rated to heat 2150 sqft sits in the walk out basement / rec room.
The ceiling of the rec room contains the 10" fan, which is necked down to 8" then down to 6" and runs through about 6' of duct to a 90 deg elbow and discharges into a 6x12 register next to the crapper in the master bath. This run of duct is uninsulated and runs through the garage ceiling which is typically about 45 deg F ambient.

This setup blows hot 80-90 deg air from the stove room ceiling into the master bath, master BR, down the hall past the other 2 br's and into the main living space which has an open foyer that allows the cold to drop into the stove room.

1800 sqft tri-level. House stays 68 to 72+ at all times on wood only. Currently burning 6-8 year old oak. I keep the oil T-stats set to 65 and the oil does not run. If temps are going to get into the single digits then I bump the oil T-stats up to 68. We've barely used any oil since Dec 1st.

I am going back and forth between an in-line fan and one of these units and adding a plenum and ducting to it and placing it in a closet. Some models are WiFi enabled. I like the filter aspect. Really I need to move cold air up as I have a heatpump water heater downstairs and the stove is upstairs and I want to cool upstairs in the summer.
Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter Amazon product ASIN B01D8DAYII