moving and taking stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

So we're moving and taking the stove. So now what do I do with the fire place ???
Can I install a damper in the block off plate ??? And hook up a cheap gas log ??

Has a 6" ss liner

What's the best option with spending the least amount of money ???

Any ideas would be great

To operate as a fireplace the blockoff plate and liner would need to be removed. Is the clay liner still intact?

Yes the clay liner is still good.
But the metal damper was cut out.

I was looking at my neighbors fire place.
It's a gas log . Looks just like a block off plate, with a damper, and a liner.

Just looking for a cheap way to sell the house
What's everyone doing when you sell ??

Thanks again

I'm not sure if your neighbor's setup is legal or correct. Moving this to the gas forum for a better response, but will leave a link to the main hearth forum.

Have you tallied up the costs of buying a vented gas log set ($300-1200), installing and connecting a gas line, adding a damper to the block-off plate? Seems like that might end up being more than having a damper reinstalled.
http://www.hansenwholesale.com/gas-logs/vented/

An option for the damper is to put one at the top of the chimney with a chain system.
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Top-Sealing-Chimney-Dampers/?state=20711

Yes the clay liner is still good.
But the metal damper was cut out.

I was looking at my neighbors fire place.
It's a gas log . Looks just like a block off plate, with a damper, and a liner.

Just looking for a cheap way to sell the house
What's everyone doing when you sell ??

Thanks again

Easiest way to deal with it is to disclose to the owner that they will have to have a new damper installed. Then it's up to them.

We're taking a slightly different approach...we're selling to a guy driving a bulldozer. He's not going to worry about the damper. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.