MS 361 with a 25" bar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many out there are running this set up? Like it? Too much bar for 361 or still lots of motor still?

I'm going out to get some CL free wood. It is still laying there because no one has a saw nearby that is big enough to cut it. (several logs...25' - 30' long, diameter is excess of 36")

In another post I was looking for feedback on green or yellow chains. I'll probably get a yellow one for the 25" bar.

This enough?

thanks for any input.

I have a 361 with a 20 and a 25. I only use the 25 when I need it for big wood, but it pulls just fine, especially now that I've modified the muffler. (highly recommended) The downside is it's pretty nose heavy with the 25. I'm considering a light-core bar for the 25 when I wear this one out (not likely to be any time soon) I can't give advice on yellow vs. green, but I will say I only run yellow. It's all about what you're comfortable with.

I have a 25" bar that I have run on my 036. It will pull it and for occasional use it shouldn't be a problem but I wouldn't want to cut with it everyday. I also have a MS460 that I keep the 25" on now and I keep a 20" on the 036. I think the 036 does much better with the 20" than th 25".

Although I've not run it, I think Stihl's full skip (RSLFK) would be a good option for a 361 with a 25" bar. That is the set up I'm eventually going to run on my 039 or 041 for larger wood.

I have an 036 as well (same power) and I wouldn't suggest using an 25" bar on it unless you have no other options. I have much larger saws, so I generally don't run anything longer than a 18" or 20" on mine (I like the 18" on it). I've run a 25" and a 28" on it a couple times. It will pull the chain if completely buried in wood, but it's slow going and you have to baby it. If you're going to use a 25" bar on these saws, I'd highly suggest running skip tooth chain on it... and none of that safety crap either. Skip has 1/3 less cutters so it wont stress the saw nearly as much.

It can be done, but that's at the high end of what that saw wants. But for a few cuts here and there, it should be fine.

361 + 28" bar + oak = OK results:
361_28_2.jpg

361_28_1.jpg

When you go that big in a bar(25" or 28"), should I look into a full skip chain as well. I see in post above, this is done.

On my 361 I primarily will run the 18" bar. For the occasional big cuts, I have a 25" bar with the yellow chain. It will pull it just fine, just not super fast. If I had a need to run a 25" all the time, I would go with a bigger power head, but for the 10% of the time I have the 25" on it, I can't justify a bigger saw.

It will do the job.

Wet1 said:
I have an 036 as well (same power) and I wouldn't suggest using an 25" bar on it unless you have no other options. I have much larger saws, so I generally don't run anything longer than a 18" or 20" on mine (I like the 18" on it). I've run a 25" and a 28" on it a couple times. It will pull the chain if completely buried in wood, but it's slow going and you have to baby it. If you're going to use a 25" bar on these saws, I'd highly suggest running skip tooth chain on it... and none of that safety crap either. Skip has 1/3 less cutters so it wont stress the saw nearly as much.

Agreed. In fact, I recommend skip tooth chains regardless of bar length.

jj3500 said:
When you go that big in a bar(25" or 28"), should I look into a full skip chain as well. I see in post above, this is done.
full skip and it will run fine

comuteruser, what are you doing with all of that METAL unistrut in your cutting area?

iskiatomic said:
comuteruser, what are you doing with all of that METAL unistrut in your cutting area?

I'm sure he'll be around to give you the details, but the metal frame you see is a set of guide rails for milling with a chainsaw mill. The cut he's making there is probably just a trim cut in preparation for milling that oak log.

MarkG

My 361 came from the dealer with a 25" bar with a yellow chain. Been cutting with it for 3 years with no trouble. However I did buy a 210 last year for limbing and small stuff so I didnt have to lug the big boy around. Out here in the land of big trees you need at least a 25".

iskiatomic said:

The above guess was correct - that was the guide system used to make the first milling pass. It gets set atop the log, the mill rides along it, and the first cut is straight. Subsequent cuts are made with the mill riding on the smooth, flat surface that the previous cut left behind. I think this log exceeded the max length that the unistrut setup would accomodate, and the end was nipped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.