MS 440 Limiter question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorsuchmill

Mar 14, 2008
Central MD
I recently acquired a used MS 440 and noticed the high speed adjustment screw is missing. The low speed adjustment screw appears to be a red plastic screw, but there is nothing like that where the high speed screw would be located. Do some of the models not have the high speed screw or is it likely that someone simply removed it? Also, I noticed the saw seems to run a little rich (i.e. smokes more and smells more of fuel than my 026), which makes me think the problem is the screw is missing. If the screw was likely removed is it as simple as replacing it with another?

Thanks in advance for your help.

someone remove the limit cap is the muffler ported?

Smokin -

The saw is loud, but I don't believe it's ported. I removed the outer muffler cover and the inside is essentially empty, save for the spark arrestor screen on the inside left of the housing. I honestly expected some kind of baffle to be in there, but have seen a couple of used assemblies on ebay that appear to be empty like mine.

gorsuchmill said:
Smokin -

The saw is loud, but I don't believe it's ported. I removed the outer muffler cover and the inside is essentially empty, save for the spark arrestor screen on the inside left of the housing. I honestly expected some kind of baffle to be in there, but have seen a couple of used assemblies on ebay that appear to be empty like mine.
its atleast muffler ported,most 440 are. I would order a new screw and see if it will just screw in, if not the carb will need to come off and see whats going on. New carb's are keep being a older saw may be worth just putting a new one on, with the muffler ported you will still need to run without limit cap's so it will tune right

Status
Not open for further replies.