MS171 muffler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
My MS171 was bogging under a load so I checked the screen in the muffler. Didn't look plugged. Since it was out, thought I would run it without, runs like a champ. Anyone run without the screen?

It's not legal here, and even if it was I would not want to be "that guy" who set the neighborhood on fire.

Since you have it out try burning it clean with a torch and see if it runs better.

My MS171 was bogging under a load so I checked the screen in the muffler. Didn't look plugged. Since it was out, thought I would run it without, runs like a champ. Anyone run without the screen?
That shows how much restriction can de-power your saw.
One reason people do muffler mods is to get the saw to breath easier.
The ICE is like a airpump,if you remove the restrictions they will "pump" better
I try to do my muffler mods so the screen will still be usable so i can sell the saw with it installed.

Reactions: Gearhead660