Mt Vernon (2006) Loud Convection Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulP

Jan 17, 2009
Long Island
I purchased a new-in-box leftover 2006 Mt Vernon (pre AE) in teh fall of 2008 on eBay. The seller has been excellent with phone support.

I have been using it sucessfully and have settled in to a good routine. It has saved us lots of oil so far.

Had some intial issues with bad pellets (too long, which jammed the auger and lots of mineral content which gave me very hard clinkers).

My main issue is that the stove is quite loud. It seems like it is running properly and the noise is just "blower noise" but it is loud enough that when burning on High or Quad, it is unpleasant to sit in the room.

When it is cold outside (currenty about 15F) i have to run it on high to keep the oil burner from kicking on, which is my goal.

Any advice? I have seen some posts on later models where the blower was changed out (not sure if it was the exhaust or convestion blower) and this gave nearly silent running.

Thanks!

Your topic mentions the convection blower but in the post you seem unsure of which is making the noise? The combustion blower starts when you call for heat and the convection blower kick on once it gets hot. What does the noise sound like? That unit is much noisier than the AE model but its mostly the combustion blower. The convection blower is near silent except for the whooshing of air. If its the convection blower making noise I would yank it out and rig it up to an old extension cord to test it by itself. Also check for loose crud in the bottoms of the cages. I have found chunks of paint residue inside the fans before, making a terrible noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.