Quadrafire Mt Vernon E2 failing with 6 flashing red lights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pb0812

Dec 8, 2023
Rhode Island, USA
Hi,

I'm struggling to chase down an issue with a Quadrafire Mt. Vernon E2 continuously failing with 6 flashing red lights. The manual states that this is either related to the exhaust blower and exhaust encoder (on end of blower); or potentially the dial control or control board.

Well, I've replaced them all, as well as the ignitor and still receive the same 6x flashing red lights.

I'll do my best to explain what I've done to troubleshoot:

For all of the steps below, the stove successfully "booted up" after being plugged in, and it was "primed" with pellets before triggering the burn via the t-stat.

- Early November I started having issues where the exhaust blower would cycle on and off constantly until a fire started, then seemed to run ok. I didn't like that it was doing this, so I began investigating.
- Removed the blower and cleaned it, along with a thorough cleaning of the stove.
- Reinstalled and failed with the same 6x red lights
- Removed again, and examined the encoder wires and sensor. Cleaned with contact cleaner.
- Reinstalled the encoder and wires, failed with the same 6x red lights
- Attempted to troubleshoot and determine whether it was the dial control (due to the manual's suggestion) and removed the dial control plug from the control board.
- The exhaust blower continued to run, which the manual indicates as a bad dial control.
- Replaced the dial control, failed with the same 6x red lights.
- Noticed at one point that the exhaust blower had some drag when spinning by hand, so I removed it again and examined to find that the bearings were misaligned (whether due to me fussing with it, or just failed). While reassembling, I broke a clip on the plastic encoder housing, causing it to not snap into place.
- Ordered a new exhaust blower, with new encoder in place.
- Installed the new exhaust blower, with the original dial control, and failed with the same 6x red lights
- Replaced the original dial control with the new dial control, still failed with the same 6x red lights
- Since the new exhaust blower with new encoder didn't fix it; and the new dial control didn't fix it; I ordered a new control board (2nd one in 2023).
- Installed the control board along with the new exhaust blower, with the original dial control, but still failed with the same 6x red lights.
- Replaced the original dial control with the new dial control, but still failed with the same 6x red lights.

I'm at the end of my knowledge and understanding of this stove. I've done all of the repairs on the stove, so more than happy take suggestions on additional troubleshooting steps.

Last edited:
To be clear I don't own one of these stoves so I'm spitballing.

The 4 conditions in your manual that cause this issue (per troubleshooting) are
  1. Exhaust Blower Jammed (remove Jam)
  2. Not electrically connected (connect blower wires)
  3. defective blower (replace blower)
  4. Control or dial is defective (replace one or the other with the unplug test)
2 of these problems are related to the blower not functioning and somehow the stove can sense that, probably via load. That's what jamming would do anyways, increase the load. So is it possible you have a pinched wire somewhere that is telling the board that the load is excessive because of the higher resistance and that is triggering the 6 lights? Seems like that could be a place to start since you've replaced every hard part already. Just start looking over your looms really close and look for a short or a kinked wire.

Again, no experience with the stove, just spitballing.

Hi,

I'm struggling to chase down an issue with a Quadrafire Mt. Vernon E2 continuously failing with 6 flashing red lights. The manual states that this is either related to the exhaust blower and exhaust encoder (on end of blower); or potentially the dial control or control board.

Well, I've replaced them all, as well as the ignitor and still receive the same 6x flashing red lights.

I'll do my best to explain what I've done to troubleshoot:

For all of the steps below, the stove successfully "booted up" after being plugged in, and it was "primed" with pellets before triggering the burn via the t-stat.

- Early November I started having issues where the exhaust blower would cycle on and off constantly until a fire started, then seemed to run ok. I didn't like that it was doing this, so I began investigating.
- Removed the blower and cleaned it, along with a thorough cleaning of the stove.
- Reinstalled and failed with the same 6x red lights
- Removed again, and examined the encoder wires and sensor. Cleaned with contact cleaner.
- Reinstalled the encoder and wires, failed with the same 6x red lights
- Attempted to troubleshoot and determine whether it was the dial control (due to the manual's suggestion) and removed the dial control plug from the control board.
- The exhaust blower continued to run, which the manual indicates as a bad dial control.
- Replaced the dial control, failed with the same 6x red lights.
- Noticed at one point that the exhaust blower had some drag when spinning by hand, so I removed it again and examined to find that the bearings were misaligned (whether due to me fussing with it, or just failed). While reassembling, I broke a clip on the plastic encoder housing, causing it to not snap into place.
- Ordered a new exhaust blower, with new encoder in place.
- Installed the new exhaust blower, with the original dial control, and failed with the same 6x red lights
- Replaced the original dial control with the new dial control, still failed with the same 6x red lights
- Since the new exhaust blower with new encoder didn't fix it; and the new dial control didn't fix it; I ordered a new control board (2nd one in 2023).
- Installed the control board along with the new exhaust blower, with the original dial control, but still failed with the same 6x red lights.
- Replaced the original dial control with the new dial control, but still failed with the same 6x red lights.

I'm at the end of my knowledge and understanding of this stove. I've done all of the repairs on the stove, so more than happy take suggestions on additional troubleshooting steps.
I had this exact same problem and followed the same steps you did while trying to fix it. It all started with replacing the exhaust blower fan this year because the chimney sweep broke the plastic where the male end of the wire connection is on the fan that plugs into the motherboard. I could not keep the wire connected and it kept falling out so I bought a new fan. After a long time of replacing all the parts and continuing to get the blinking 6 red lights just like you, I finally went back basics. I got out my old exhaust blower fan and put in there and just used electric tape to keep the wire in place on it. IT WORKED. My theory is it might just be a bad batch of exhaust blower fans out there being sold in 2023. Maybe they are just coded wrong, my fan would run it would just never let the stove start and always ended in 6 red lights

I had this exact same problem and followed the same steps you did while trying to fix it. It all started with replacing the exhaust blower fan this year because the chimney sweep broke the plastic where the male end of the wire connection is on the fan that plugs into the motherboard. I could not keep the wire connected and it kept falling out so I bought a new fan. After a long time of replacing all the parts and continuing to get the blinking 6 red lights just like you, I finally went back basics. I got out my old exhaust blower fan and put in there and just used electric tape to keep the wire in place on it. IT WORKED. My theory is it might just be a bad batch of exhaust blower fans out there being sold in 2023. Maybe they are just coded wrong, my fan would run it would just never let the stove start and always ended in 6 red lights
@MtVernon steve !!... STEVE!! My man, Steve!

"You Did It. The Crazy Son of a B****, You Did It."

I installed my thought-to-be-dead exhaust blower back into the stove, with electrical tap holding the (what I assume) RPM sensor in place. The S.o.B. started right up, first time, without hesitation.

I had given up on this thing and have been relying solely on my propane forced hot air. Not the best for the warmth, nor the wallet, but it was keeping us from freezing so it had to do.

If the sensor is the issue on mine, I'll be 3d printing something better than electrical tape, but for now, blaze baby, blaze! It's a shame that we both spent hundreds on a new blower to end up using the one we were attempting to replace.

What do you plan to do with the new (defective) blower? Mine has been installed for months now, but because it never fired up, it's still clean(ish).

One last thing, did you just join the forum? And did you join to answer this question? Regardless of your reason for joining, you truly solved this man's problem. My family and I appreciate you taking the time.

- Paul

Last edited:
To be clear I don't own one of these stoves so I'm spitballing.

The 4 conditions in your manual that cause this issue (per troubleshooting) are
  1. Exhaust Blower Jammed (remove Jam)
  2. Not electrically connected (connect blower wires)
  3. defective blower (replace blower)
  4. Control or dial is defective (replace one or the other with the unplug test)
2 of these problems are related to the blower not functioning and somehow the stove can sense that, probably via load. That's what jamming would do anyways, increase the load. So is it possible you have a pinched wire somewhere that is telling the board that the load is excessive because of the higher resistance and that is triggering the 6 lights? Seems like that could be a place to start since you've replaced every hard part already. Just start looking over your looms really close and look for a short or a kinked wire.

Again, no experience with the stove, just spitballing.
@Scout52
I took your suggestion and ran with it. The increase in load made a lot of sense so I went through each wire to ensure continuity for each, and checked the jacket on all of them. Nothing seemed out of place or damaged. All wires are snug and seated in their connectors.

I then started to consider the recent chimney pipe cleaning I did before the season. I thought that I might have compacted the soot at the 90 degree bend. I used a small plumbers snake to run up the and out the chimney; and used it to go from the outside to the inside. The pipe is clear.

I had given up and was about to make a service call until I received the message from MT.Vernon Steve to re-install my old one and try it.

I appreciate the post and suggestions.