Mt vernon ae auger going in reverse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fourdig

Oct 18, 2021
Colorado
Hi I have a 2007 mt vernon ae free standing pellet stove I am having issues with the auger jam error coming up I have replaced the auger motor optical sensor and snap the upper snap disk and my motor goes in reverse any thoughts
Thanks

It may be wired in backwards. If you can reverse the leads, it'll probably turn the other direction.
That depends Daksy... If the drive motor is shaded pole, reversing the leads will do nothing to change rotation as the rotation of the armature is dependent on the shaded pole design and not current flow.

The way you reverse rotation is, you remove the laminated field windings (segments and physically flip them 180 degrees and reinstall them. That will reverse the rotation of the armature.

Sounds to me like an aftermarket replacement motor (if shaded pole). Some motors will turn CCW, some will turn CW bit they are easy to reverse by flipping the field laminations 180 degrees.

If it's not shaded pole, reversing the leads will reverse the motor.

Have a feeling it's shaded pole however. Easy to tell too. A shaded pole motor is an open frame design (where the 'works' are exposed. A conventional motor will be enclosed in a metal case.

Actually had to flip one of mine, bought an aftermarket motor for my burn pot agitator some years back and had to reverse the armature rotation. Easy to dp actually.

2 (usually Torx) screws (but sometimes hex head or slotted) will secure the field laminations to the reduction gearcase. Remove them (and the 2 screws that secure the outboard bearing), flip the field and reinstall the outboard bearing (if it was me, I'd oil the outboard bearing in it's retainer), reinstall the field lamination screws, hook the leads back up and that is it.

Takes about 5 minutes.

Reactions: DAKSY
Not the motor, just the field laminations. That reverses rotation

If it's moving at all. I doubt it's an issue with the triac driver. Can you physically turn the motor 180deg?
Far as a bad Triac, you can buy them individually or in bulk from Dell Electronics or Digikey. Easy to replace with a pencil soldering iron. Just match up tjhe numbers on it with the replacement numbers, not a big deal.

What revision control board do you have?

20211108_180850.jpg

That could be your issue. In 2008, they came out with the srv7000-456 Rev. C that addressed a logistic problem with vac switch and auger jam errors. But before dumping that kind of money for a new control board, i would empty the hopper and pull the auger assy out to see if there was anything jamming up the auger. And i don't understand the wording in your first post on what you did or didn't replace. kap

I have replaced the auger,optical sensor,snap disks, vacuum switch. I have vacuumed out the actual auger and nothing in there but as soon as I start it up the auger spins in reverse

Did you pull the auger assy. out , to see if anything was up at top near motor? kap

Thanks kap I have replaced the auger motor optical sensor and both snap disks. I have cleaned out the auger and when it starts up it goes in reverse never tries to go in forward direction thanks bart

Reactions: Ssyko
Any auger motor I've seen doesn't change direction based on any controls or board problems, it's the motor itself whether it's set up as clockwise or counterclockwise. If you ordered the wrong direction or they shipped you a mismarked or wrong one, it can be reversed to the direction you need. The instructions already given above are great, but sometimes seeing is easier. So here is a link with instructions, pictures, and even a video on how to change direction of auger motors.
Changing Auger motor rotation

Ray

Any auger motor I've seen doesn't change direction based on any controls or board problems, it's the motor itself whether it's set up as clockwise or counterclockwise. If you ordered the wrong direction or they shipped you a mismarked or wrong one, it can be reversed to the direction you need. The instructions already given above are great, but sometimes seeing is easier. So here is a link with instructions, pictures, and even a video on how to change direction of auger motors.
Changing Auger motor rotation

Ray
You have no idea what a Quad auger motor looks like,nor probably know his is DC voltage. Sometimes best to check.

Reactions: Ssyko and johneh
You have no idea what a Quad auger motor looks like,nor probably know his is DC voltage. Sometimes best to check.
My apologies. You're right, I don't know what his motor looks like. I read SidecarFlip's helpful instructions about flipping the windings on shaded pole motors and thought pictures and video might help. Hopefully, at least if someone searches the forum for reversed auger motor the instructions I posted will still be helpful for the common AC ager motors.

Thanks kap I have replaced the auger motor optical sensor and both snap disks. I have cleaned out the auger and when it starts up it goes in reverse never tries to go in forward direction thanks bart
so these new parts, are they oem or aftermarket?

Reactions: maraakate
Having what I think is your issue. Original install, Rev C board.

However, in taking out the auger to test it, I pulled the black wire out of the optical sensor connector on the auger side. Since it could be a problem, I just ordered a new one.

My control board is the newer one it seems, 7000-456 REV C, date 10/09.

So if the optical sensor doesn't fix it, anything else to test before buying a replacment control board? The auger did spin when I looked inside the hopper but only reverse for a couple minutes before I walked away and later saw it stopped.

Hi I have a 2007 mt vernon ae free standing pellet stove I am having issues with the auger jam error coming up I have replaced the auger motor optical sensor and snap the upper snap disk and my motor goes in reverse any thoughts
Thanks
My stove is the same vintage and had the same issue. Replacing the optical sensor and snap disk fixed it. Rev C board.